1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Hot Spot speeds vs moblie broadband card.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JettMartinez, Oct 19, 2010.

1. JettMartinez

JettMartinez Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Has anyone tested the speed of using Epic as a hotspot vs. using a broadband card?

I use my card pretty regularly for both 3G and 4G connections and it works great for online gaming and general internet-ary (generally no heavy streaming or downloads). The $30 charge to use the Epic would be a nice savings over the $60 for the card connection plan.

Advertisement

2. pflol

pflol Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Oahu / Hawaii
    You should root your phone and tether for free like everyone else, at least to try it out first :p.

3. JettMartinez

JettMartinez Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Yeah, I may. I have to research what that's all about and what the risks are.

I'm new to android phones, I don't even have my Epic in hand yet. It was delivered to my house yesterday, but I won't be home till Friday. :(

4. akasan

akasan Active Member

Nov 2, 2009
    So I rooted my phone and installed Wifi tether, it was cool except my computer stops recognizing the phone after a few hours, requiring a reset of computer and phone. Also, PS3 doesn't recognize ad-hoc networks. the extra $30 bucks isn't gonna hurt me (plus I already get a discount through my job) so I added the mobile hotspot, good speeds can watch hulu with no issue, ps3 picks up the phone just fine. Is there a way to get the ps3 to recognize wi-fi tether without using a wired connecting to the computer? Should note I live in newark nj and 4g is active for about three weeks now. Initial speeds were not good but right now I average 2 to 3 bars inside my house.

5. altimuh

altimuh Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I don't doubt you at all... but I wish Sprint's coverage map was actually up-to-date. Or that they'd let us know where they're doing testing to open up new areas. I'm about an hour south of you - hoping 4g makes it's way down to central jersey soon! Kicker is, I just moved from north philly right before they made 4g available there. Doah!