• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hotmail: "Get more messages" from server

RachelGirl

Lurker
May 24, 2010
Crud. When I switch from my default Gmail account to see my Hotmail inbox, I often receive a message like "Get more messages, 5 messages total on server". I click it, and the little circular arrows spin round and then I get the same message. Refresh brings the same result. *Sometimes*, however, doing one of these things will actually deliver the messages. Any thoughts?

I don't know about your situation, because I don't care for reading my Hotmail through "mail" and still have to go to the Hotmail website and delete messages through a browser (even though my settings are set to delete messages from the server). I can delete my Exchange/Outlook messages from another email address though, so I've always figured it was just a Hotmail thing.
I'm having a different situation with Hotmail that is bugging me.
When using the browser to view Hotmail, it used to wrap the text (no matter what the zoom level) so all I had to do was scroll down to read lengthy messages, i.e. forum subscription digests.
Since the 2.1 update, the text wrapping doesn't seem to work and I have to scroll across to read a very long line of text, then scroll back to read the next post. Very annoying to say the least.
Not every page loads this way. MyPoints.com messages resize fine and I don't have to scroll across. Forum digests seem to be the things that don't wrap anymore.
Any thoughts on this one? Do you experience inconsistent wrapping of text if you retrieve your Hotmail via the browser?

Upvote 0
I have exactly same problem. up till yesterday MAIL on android was working well, but now for all yahoo emails it just gives me "there are N number on messages on server" and does not open them. I don't know if it is with the latest upgrades yahoo has done to its mail or what. My guess is it is because of a yahoo mess up not because of Android Mail. Yahoo mail client on my Android still gets the mail without problem from yahoo.

Upvote 0
Anybody using the default mail client may be better off trying out the far better, free mail client K9 mail.

I'm not sure if it will solve this particular Yahoo mail problem that you mention - my Yahoo mailbox is essentially a spam catcher for me and I have not used it for real mail in more than 5 years now - but it is still a better mail client, IMO, and worth a try at least.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.fsck.k9&feature=search_result

Upvote 0
I have exactly same problem. up till yesterday MAIL on android was working well, but now for all yahoo emails it just gives me "there are N number on messages on server" and does not open them. I don't know if it is with the latest upgrades yahoo has done to its mail or what. My guess is it is because of a yahoo mess up not because of Android Mail. Yahoo mail client on my Android still gets the mail without problem from yahoo.

It looks like a general yahoo issue affecting multiple handsets. For more info, check here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones