1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Hotspot don't work on razor

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Richf28, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Richf28

Richf28 Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    Retired
    Erie pa
    I was told by phone carrier that if I purchased the razr I could use it with my unlimited plan with the hotspot for wifi while spending winter in Florida. Its been two weeks of issues. No connection dropouts, though I have full bars in both 3g and 4g. And I found numerous sites that it wouldn't connect to. Mainly retail related and some news and forums.this would happen on my laptop and iPad both. Numerous calls to support with no answer. Last tech told me to go to the store and try another hotspot phone. Found that it didn't work on their razr phones but would a 3G phone. Turning 4g off was no help. Contacted tech support back and explained and they found this to be a reported razr problem. They said an upgrade will be out in mid February in hopes to help it. In meantime I have dropped my hotspot plan until rectified.

Advertisement

2. you2

you2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Yea - motorola should be very embarrassed. Folks figure it was a simple network tuning parameter; you can fix it if you are willing to root your phone or you can change it on the pc side. Basically the mtu is too high on the razr. Kind of silly because it is networking 101; even more silly they haven't released a fix yet. On linux/mac you would do something like ifconfig [interface] mtu 1400 (I'm a linux sort of person):

Here is a thread which shows how to set it on windows box (caveat i'm not a windows person):

Secure sites not available with tethering via hotspot and USB

3. willis1

willis1 Newbie
    None

Nov 19, 2011
    In the mean time you could always usb tether, it's free and seems to work just fine.

4. HTTR

HTTR Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    Male
    Virginia
    Hey, saw the post and I just started a thread regarding getting my phone rooted. I have rooted all my devices in the past and want to root this one as well. Any help appreciated.

5. you2

you2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Not exactly related but I am curious if it is legal for verizon to enforce the term of service that requires a hotspot plan.
    -
    Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the various laws that protect consumers (this question is sort of asking for those with expert knowledge).

I.e, if I purchase xGB data plan from verizon; can verizon restrict how I use those xGB ?
    -
    I.e, is this equivalent to saying if I purchase an ice cream cone; I cannot give 1/2 of it to a friend?
    -
    I really have no clue on legal matters of this sort so I'm not suggesting that verizon is on shaky legal ground; this is simply a question (I do know there are consumer laws and the wireless companies are partly regulated but not the legal aspect behind those laws and regulations).
    -
    When data was unlimited I could see a stronger argument on behalf of the carrier; but with tiered plans I would think the story is a bit different.

6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    This discussion has been had many times and while it is an interesting philosophical topic, the current reality is that everyone who is a legitimate Verizon customer has signed the TOS and thereby bound by it's terms until such time that there are changed by mutual agreement or ruled unenforceable.

Because bypassing carrier restrictions where a tethering plan is required is a theft of services, Android Forums neither condones the practice or the dissemination of information instructing others on how to do this.

If you are unsure of Verizon's policy restrictions, please review them.

http://androidforums.com/verizon/455585-verizons-official-tethering-policy.html