1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Houston... we have a problem.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by w0bbl3r, Dec 31, 2011.

1. w0bbl3r

w0bbl3r Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 22, 2010
    Woke up this morning (late, my alarm didn't go off)

Strange,

grab phone to check i didnt leave the volume down or something stupid,
    screen won't turn on.

strange. maybe the charger wasn't connected right? tried 3 different chargers, pulled the battery for 5 mins, left it on charge for 10 min, nothing

no response. no vibration on power button, nothing on screen.

plug it in to mac, ADT doesn't open, nothing shows up in disk utility, adb can't see it.

phone has been perfect for two weeks, now appears to have committed suicide overnight.

will be ages for a replacement as its bloody new years eve.

Advertisement

2. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2011
    "Bloody"? you in the UK? verizon stores are open tomorrow here in the US...

3. w0bbl3r

None

Jun 22, 2010
    i am indeed in blighty, yes.

Unfortunately i got mine from a company (chitterchatter) that resells t-mobile contracts and doesn't really have any stores to speak of.

There is a Samsung store nearby, but it is not listed as a repair center on sammys website.

I know there's alwaya time for stuff to stop working, but it used to use like 1% of its power per hour and a half overnight, so strange it's died doing nothing at all.

4. Kod1ak

Kod1ak Member
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I don't know if this might be an issue, but I had a similar issue on my old HTC Evo. If the phone completely died...every so often...the phone just wouldn't recharge. I would have to take the battery out and throw it in an external charger (which I didn't have) or take it in to the store for them to charge it that way. Once on the charger for 15 min, I was able to put it back in my phone and it was brought back to life and I could then charge it normally.

This was a know glitch with the Evo but it doesn't mean other phones couldn't have the same issue. I just got my Galaxy Nexus. I am having random signal turning off (even though it shows I have a signal. It even did it with WiFi tonight. I had internet on my computer through my router but the phone seems to be acting up.

I have only had the phone for a few days but there do seem to be some bugs. When it's working, it's an amazing device. When it glitches...it sucks. With that said, I am still going to give the phone a chance. You might want to take the battery in and see if that's the issue or if it's a bad phone. Also...sometimes a battery can be a dud out of the box.

5. w0bbl3r

None

Jun 22, 2010
    thanks for the help dude,

I'd LOVE it to be a case of the battery somehow being too discharged, but i'm not convinced.

I was literally chatting (gtalk) on it right up until i went to sleep, and it was charging at the time. 6 hours sleep later, dead as donuts.

quite apart from the fact it literally would normally still be turned on after 6 hours sleep even if it has about 7% battery when i went to bed (it had more) it was charging the whole time.

i too dont have an external battery charger. i wonder if the samsung store would have a spare battery i could just try for a second to see if another battery pulled it back to life, as it * definitely* isn't charging or doing anything now.

6. w0bbl3r

None

Jun 22, 2010
    update: called my reseller and they had a store half an hour away, which apparently is also a samsung repair center.

took the phone in, the guy didnt even know how to put the back covers on so i was not expecting much. he tried another battery, nothing. tried mine in another GN, worked fine, battery showed 75% charged (odd, you'd think it'd be zero or a hundred).

asked a colleague "what do i press to factory reset", tried power with various combo's of volume rocker, i told him it wouldn't work if there was no life at all from the phone but he tried anyway, and eventually just gave me a new phone.

super annoying, now i have to unlock, root, and set up all my apps again :(

7. northernale1

northernale1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    annoying would have been if you were sent home with the broken phone

8. SecondShot

SecondShot Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 29, 2011
    Washington DC
    Just restore your last nandroid after you root. Shouldn't take too long...it is a little annoying though, couldve been worse. Cheers!!

9. w0bbl3r

None

Jun 22, 2010
    Hadn't got around to copying the nandroid off the phone to the computer :(

Tags: