• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mods How about a prompt to switch on Mobile Data?

Dumb_user

Feb 18, 2020
The other day while out and about, I tried to access Google Maps on my Samsung Galaxy A3. The app opened, a map was displayed, and I typed in the location to which I wanted directions. The app responded with, "Can't connect to Maps. Try again in a few minutes", with a 'Try again' link/button below. I tried again, and again, each time with the same result.

I was baffled; the app had opened, shown me a map, and according to the 'bars' I had a very strong signal, so why wouldn't it work? I was at risk of being late for an important medical appointment, and hugely frustrated that modern technology was, as I saw it, letting me down. Much later, having had to (horror of horrors!) ask someone for directions, it became apparent that Mobile Data was switched off.

I appreciate fully that switching off Mobile Data was something I must have done at some point, but I don't remember doing so, and certainly didn't do it intentionally (Maps had worked fine a few days previously, and I hadn't fiddled with any settings since). I've been a smart phone user for a couple of years and consider myself reasonably 'tech savvy', but the complexity and sophistication of modern mobiles boggles my mind. I understand that they use WiFi, Bluetooth, 4G (and, for all I know, magic moonbeams!) to communicate with the world, but have no clear idea about 'which does what'.

My question is, given the incredible capabilities of the Android OS, why couldn't my attempts to use the app have invoked a prompt to take the necessary action (i.e. switch Mobile Data back on), instead of the unhelpful, Magic 8 Ball-style, "Try again later" response?

I'd be amazed if I'm the only person to whom this kind of thing happens, and I find it hard to believe that the OS doesn't have the capability to check why an app can't do what the user wants and tell them how to fix it. Any thoughts? Am I missing something blindingly obvious, other than the ability to use my phone competently, that is? ;)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones