• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How and Why to root for newbies

OK im not trying to freak out but my computer is not detecting my Transform at the 3rd step of adding recovery. Stuck on Downloading screen. Plz help!

PS: I removed everything from Binary Folder as stated above.

UPDATE: Ok braved it and pulled battery. Luckily didnt brick. But now my computers(both desktop and laptop) don't recognize my phone when hooked up via USB. This had happened before when I tried to access the SD card. Had to install USB drivers. But the drivers were already installed before I tried to root.

I had this exact same thing happen to me while attempting to follow the steps provided here. This is my question:

Having only gotten this far - without a successful download between my pc and phone - have I even made any changes to my phone so far? I need to know for sure because I am debating on whether to keep it or trade while I am still within my 30 day window. Leaning wayyyy toward trading it now.

Upvote 0
I had this exact same thing happen to me while attempting to follow the steps provided here. This is my question:

Having only gotten this far - without a successful download between my pc and phone - have I even made any changes to my phone so far? I need to know for sure because I am debating on whether to keep it or trade while I am still within my 30 day window. Leaning wayyyy toward trading it now.
No you haven't.

Upvote 0
I'm rooted finally! I need to figure out how to flash a ROM now :)

This goes for flashing anything. Make a folder on your sd card named sdx. within that folder make 3 folders named zip, updates, and backup. Put the rom's zip file into the zip folder.
Boot to recovery
For CMW
Use the volume buttons to navigate to "wipe..." press the camera button to enter this. Go to "Wipe dalvik-cache". Choose this. Now go back to the main menu. Go to "install zip from sd card". press the camera button to enter this menu. enter "Choose zip from sd card". Now simply navigate to the sdx/zip folder and hit menu and flash it :D
PS, deodex first. using the same method

Will this guide work with HTC EVO 2.2 or it is just for Transform?

No, but this post will work for you http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html

Upvote 0
I followed the steps and successfully rooted my phone. However, when I reboot the phone, my phone storage is at 0.00 mb. Additionally, rooting wiped my data.

Any thoughts on how to get my phone storage fixed? I've attempted starting over with the rooting, but always with the same outcome.

Two ideas.
1. You downloaded the stuff and one of the files corrupted.
2. You were on EF09

We can fix both of those problems in one try...
First, do this...
http://androidforums.com/transform-all-things-root/317829-how-unbrick.html
Now, I know you may be thinking "But my phone isn't bricked..?"
It's an easy way to go all the way through the steps so you are at rooted EB28

This time, when you try to root, delete all of the rooting files you have on your computer/SD card. Re-download them all, and try again.

Upvote 0
I downloaded SWupdater 1.0.001-

I deleted that file in Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary-

I put recovery.tar (Vampirefo's), unaltered from the way that it was when it was downloaded, in Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary-
*Note* It is the ONLY file with in this folder-

With my phone connected to the computer, I created a Folder called sdx (all lower case) on my SD card-

With in the Folder sdx, I created three folders called:
  • backup- Contains Nothing
  • updates-Contains Nothing
  • zip- Contains pumav6.zip in its unaltered from the time it was downloaded
All folders spelled in lower case-

Have I done everything according to the guide, correctly, as to where the chances of me bricking my phone are slim to none-
(Was trying to use z4root, but that failed on so many epic levels, it is not even funny)

Upvote 0
I downloaded SWupdater 1.0.001-

I deleted that file in Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary-

I put recovery.tar (Vampirefo's), unaltered from the way that it was when it was downloaded, in Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary-
*Note* It is the ONLY file with in this folder-

With my phone connected to the computer, I created a Folder called sdx (all lower case) on my SD card-

With in the Folder sdx, I created three folders called:
  • backup- Contains Nothing
  • updates-Contains Nothing
  • zip- Contains pumav6.zip in its unaltered from the time it was downloaded
All folders spelled in lower case-

Have I done everything according to the guide, correctly, as to where the chances of me bricking my phone are slim to none-
(Was trying to use z4root, but that failed on so many epic levels, it is not even funny)

I did all the steps and did what is described up here, I go through the steps and I get to the recovery screen and select Apply zip from SD Card, I hit menu and it says "Couldn't open directory". So I went and found it manually, installed the package, I saw the bar loading in the background, and... now what? Help would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hi Cooper,

Complete noob in every regard to rooting. Was reading your article and I thought I give it a try.

Running Samsung Transform, 2.2, EB28.

Tried installing Vampirefo's Kernal & recovery and now my phone just reboots every 10 minutes. Stuck in a loop.

I can still get to custom recovery.

Any advice from anyone is greatly appreciated!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones