• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Android works when it needs to open a file????

AlanPr

Lurker
Apr 8, 2020
I'd like to understand how Android OS woks when opening a file from a file manager. It seems different versions of Android behave differently. Also, the behavior is different depending on the location of the file, local or local network.
I use ES File Explorer and Solid Explorer as file managers on all my Android devices (phones, tablets and standalone VR headset). When I click on a video file for example, a list with apps capable to open that file is shown (if the extension is known to be for video files). Even if I have the same video players installed on all devices, the list of video players displayed for opening the file is different, from one device to another. I have Android 5, Android 6, Android 7, Android 8and Android 9. In Android 9, on my OnePlus 5T, when I try to open a video file, only SE WebView and SE Video Cast are listed as options. However, I have MX Player, XPlayer, VLC Player, ES Video Player and a VR Player installed on the phone, but NONE of them is listed. They are not listed if I try to open the file in ES File Explorer or Solid Explorer.
On my Lenovo Yoga Book YB1-X90F tablet running Android 7, if I open the same file in ES File Explorer or Solid Explorer, six different video players, all download managers and all video downloaders are listed as options to open the file.
On my Lenovo Mirage Solo VR-1941S VR headset running Android 8, when I try to open a video file in ES File Explorer or Solid Explorer, the DeoVR Player (which can correctly play VR180 and VR360 files), is listed ONLY if the file is stored locally (internal memory or SD card), but it's not listed if the file is located on any of the computers and laptops on the local network.
I have other tablets and older phones running older versions of Android mentioned above. When I try to open files in ES File Explorer or Solid Explorer, they display different player options, but none as restricted as in Android 9 on my OnePlus 5T.

How this OS feature works in Android?? Is there any way to add one player or more to the list of displayed capable applications?

I'll very much appreciate any help I could get!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones