1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root How are they getting that kind of kbps???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Kettir, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Kettir

Kettir Newbie
    None

Apr 1, 2011
    I've rooted and flashed a ROM (DHD Inspired) on my Inspire myself, but I thought I'd look at these guys to see if they give me any ideas (I won't give the name in this post because I'm not here to advertise them) but their "Inspire Root and upgrade video" on http://tiny.cc/1mpz9 claims to get 4800+ kbps browsing speeds. The pertinent part of the video starts at 5:27. If I understand the video, they are testing on the AT&T network. They call their ROM "pure HTC ROM". It is "debranded" and "has all the bloatware removed". Their discussion of the ROM is at 2:30.

I downloaded the app they are using (speedtest.net) and tried it on my Inspire, with line-of-sight to a cell tower (all 4 bars and the H symbol). I only got to 855 kbps download at best, and 1245 kbps upload at best. Can anyone tell me what they did to get that kind of speed? Have they installed Gingerbread 2.3?

Again, I'm not advertising these guys. I already rooted and flashed my Inspire myself with just some advice from the forums here. I just want to know how they got those speeds they are claiming.

Advertisement

2. dots

dots Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Shelby Township, MI
    Would depend on your location and radio you are using. Probably some edited build.prop values help with speed but in the end it'll be the build.prop values, radio/ril, location, and possibly apn editing. which will determine your data speeds.

As far as there debloated stock rom. There's a couple on xda probably like it so i doubt there rom has something special that can achive the speeds (always? i didn't watch the video)

A good example that happened to me is at our old aparement (this was 2 weeks ago) i was pushing 5-7mb/s with full bars and H coverage. Moved 20 miles away to a new house (this is current) with full bars and H and im lucky if i can push 3.5 - 4 mb/s with the same radio/ril

3. th3goob

th3goob Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Nanty Glo, PA
    my town recently got H+ and i get maybe 1.5mbps, if i go to pittsburgh or other surrounding areas i get 3-4 it all depends on location

4. shark974

shark974 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    Heh, I get 2.5-3.5mbps on 3g on my non-4G capable Captivate.

5. somewhatstock

somewhatstock Lurker
    None

Jun 23, 2011
    IMO, speedtest is awful. Here is a back to back test that I ran today. Im in an area that is advertised as 4G, but clearly its not up and running.

I ran speedtest.net and xtremelabs on a stock Infuse, Stock Inspire, and a Rooted Inspire.

Stock Infuse Speedtest.net .01-.02 Mbps down, .05-.01 up.
    Stock Infuse xtremelabs 4.51Mbps down, .4-.5 up.
    Stock Inspire Speedtest.net .02 Mbps down, .06 up.
    Stock Inspire Xtreme 1.14 Mbps down, .148 up.
    Rooted Inspire Speedtest.net .02 Mbps down, .51 up.
    Rooted Inspire Xtremelabs 2.74 Mbps down, 2.8 up.

6. Simba501

Simba501 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    +1, I've seen variance larger than this at a shorter distance. On the other side of my town, I get 4+ mbps down at any time of day. At my home (less than 10 miles away), I can only get that when there is NO data traffic. Most of the time, it's between 1-3 mbps down. My upload is generally the same everywhere, about 1 mbps down.