1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How are you connecting your USB devices?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ODog2323, May 26, 2011.

1. ODog2323

ODog2323 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    NJ, USA
    HDDs, cameras, keyboards, etc...

Any recommendations for adapters to go from micro to full size USB?

The moto camera connection kit looks like the right idea, but that's got a 1-2 month wait on amazon, and I'm sure we can do better than 20 bucks.

Advertisement

2. androidguy65

androidguy65 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2011
    You need an otg cable. If you want one fast get the Motorola one from best buy or their site. If you want it cheap check eBay for an otg cable. Note: on eBay it will most likely ship from china and take a couple weeks

3. ODog2323

None

Jun 20, 2010
    NJ, USA
    OTG? I guess that's different from the various adapters I've seen seeing on amazon?

I'm looking for something that's male micro USB on one side and female full USB on the other.

4. inferno1

inferno1 Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    OTG basically means it has pin 4 shorted to ground which allows the Xoom to act as a Host and control what ever is plugged in.... If its not an OTG cable, then it probably wont work....

(somebody correct me if I remembered that wrong)

5. jaiotu

jaiotu Member
    None

Jan 16, 2011
    Unix Systems Analyst
    Alabama
    OTG = "On The Go"
    USB OTG is a standard created to allow mobile devices access to USB peripherals without needing an additional USB port beyond the one that allows the device to work in USB "slave" mode. Standard USB devices operate via four pins. An OTG cable has a fifth pin that can be either grounded or floating. A grounded pin signals the software running on the device that you are plugging in a device that you want to access via "host mode."
    If your adapter is merely a "gender changer" that lacks that crucial "short" to ground, it's not going to work... unless you find a way to manually signal the software that you want to use the USB port in host mode. I did this with a simple toggle on the commandline on my old Nokia n800 using a cable that a spliced by hand... I could have made the cable with the short, but I lack decent soldering skills.
    One limitation is that the power from the device's USB port is not sufficient for powering USB thumb drives. You are basically limited to devices that have their own power supply or require low power like Keyboards and Mice. You can get around this limitation using a powered USB hub, but I'm not sure if the XOOM ships with drivers for USB mass storage devices.
    I recently purchased one of those cheap adapters off Amazon that claims to be a host-mode adapter... I still haven't taken the time to test and see if it works, and won't have an opportunity to test until Monday when I'm off work.

6. ODog2323

None

Jun 20, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I'm assuming the Motorola camera connection "kit" is otg?