• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How can I add a boot sound to my new boot animation?

su_me

Jul 5, 2014
First i'd like to apologize if this has already been answered. I've spent days scowering the internet on how i can add a custom boot sound to a boot animation that i've added via rom toolbox. I have this cool marvel animation and while i was changing the lock and unlock tones (ironman repulsors ohh yea!) i thought it would be so cool if i could add the marvel theme song with the boot animation.

Heres what i have found and done.
  • Downloaded mp3 file via zedge app
  • Moved file to /system/media directory and to /system/media/audio/ui
  • Converted file to .wav format
  • Changed file name to poweron, PowerOn, Poweron, android_audio, bootsound, BootSound, Bootsound
  • Added a bootsnd.sh script to /system/bin
  • Tried editing boot animations dec.txt (or something to that affect) to include the sound file
All to no avail. I have not been able to successfully convert the mp3 to .ogg but i also read somewhere that this phone or rom needs .emd sound files to play at boot so i am completely at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also my phone is the lg f6 with pressy4pie recovery, xperion rom, freedom kernal overclocked, and
DataOnSD mod. Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:
Just a quick tutorial on adding sound to boot up and shut down. Note: i have only tested on optimus f6 so make sure you make a nand backup before starting!!

1. Must have root access.

2. Download sounds for boot.

3. Using ES file explorer, open side menu, open tools, check root explorer and confirm actions.

4. Move your boot sounds to /system/media/audio/ui

5. Long press your sound file and tap the more icon to open more options, select properties, next to permissions select change, only check read write read read and select ok.

6. Rename your sound file PowerOn.ogg for boot up and PowerOff.ogg for shutdown.

7. You can do the same procedure for a custom lock and unlock sound just make sure you change the original sound name to something else or just add .bak to the end of it.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
The easiest way is to download them thru rom toolbox lite straight to your phone. You will get a zip file (leave it zipped). Find it on your sd card and move it to /system/media folder. Change the permissions to read write rea read (rw-r--r--) and rename it shutdownanimation.zip and reboot.

You can also make your own boot animations but i have not tried it.

If you want a boot up animation and you downloaded from rom toolbox lite you can set that right from the app.

Upvote 0
One last thing i forgot. If you are running a custom rom on your f6 make sure you change or delete the already set animations so that yours are the ones that will play. Right now i have the marvel from rom toolbox as my boot with the marvel theme song from zedge and ironman2 from rom toolbox with jarvis power down mp3 from zedge as my shutdown.

Upvote 0
Im sure you can partition your sd card with toolbox but ive never tried. I use Aparted for that. As far as roms go, ive only used experion for the f6 because ive heard that its the most stable. There is a youtube vidoe where someone shows off multiple roms for the f6 but again in my opinion the exeperion is the best. Ive done some really neat tweaks with the xposed app that comes with the rom and with nova launcher that makes the f6 feel a lot more like lollipop. I had to recover my phone back to stock at one point and i couldnt wait to reflash experion and reset the xposed tweaks. Its pretty amazing and inspiring what these devs have done just so people can enjoy the maximum potential of these phones.

Upvote 0
I just came back to stock from carbon and when i hit recover i get a messag . Like. E.cant mount '/data/' and. E. cant mount intetnal storag. But it booted back . To stock and i tried wiping delvik cache but i get same message pkeas find out what you can and i liked experion but i wanted a more stable kitkat rom so i tried carbon but it was missing features i would have loved to see please help and thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones