1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How can I better run my phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by taylor1277, Sep 30, 2018.

1. taylor1277

taylor1277 Lurker

I keep getting warnings that my phone ram is at 71% and my then my storage is only at 11% but my phone says my storage space is low. I always have a problem with ram. So how can I get my phone to run at optimum speed? I also have a 32gb card I added to the phone. And space is still limited? I use my phone more I guess along the lines with apps like Waze, GasBuddy, Inkpad, Google apps such as Keep, Slides etc. Travel apps and more informational apps. I also have Amazon Prime Music. And the only game is Blackjack for those times I need something to do for a few minutes. I want to add more apps than I have. But it seems if I do I have to get rid of other ones I have.

I have a Samsung Galaxy J1. So you see for me it is more of just having a phone for everyday uses.
    So how or what do I do to get my phone to run better? Thank you.

Rico ANDROID likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

svim and Rico ANDROID like this.
  3. taylor1277

taylor1277 Lurker

Actually no it has 8gb, 32gb card I also installed. So can someone please answer how I can I guess maintain my phone. Sorry, I don't go out and buy a new phone every day a new one comes out. Why throw away something that isn't broken. Just needs to be serviced. So I am hoping and please don't tell me I am going to get asinine answers, and I will get a professional answer.

4. Rico ANDROID

Rico ANDROID Android Expert

The Device Management feature is what sold me on my GN8 . It keeps my trusty android in tip top performance with little effort on my part. I just ran this quick and easy cleanup

Screenshot_20180930-192543.jpg

Dannydet likes this.
  5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

You can apply that kind of thinking to something like a frying pan but not with smartphone. It doesn't apply to laptop, or a desktop PC either. Old, below-spec hardware is always going to be limited in functionality and have performance issues, and when in involves a newer operating system and/or modern-day online services, it only gets worse. That Galaxy J1 with only 512MB of RAM and a 800x480 resolution screen was a way-below spec phone even when it was released three years ago, its meager hardware configuration just doesn't correlate with a phone that a typical person uses a smartphone for. The issue being this isn't a matter where you need to 'buy a new phone everyday', it's just a matter not buying a crippled phone to begin with. And no, no one is telling you that you have to spending a $1000 for a flagship phone. There are any number of that are very adequate as daily-usage phones in the $400-$100 range (often unlocked) or even below $100 if you're willing to get a carrier-locked, branded phone through your carrier.
    https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-android-phone/

As for a that quick fix you're apparently seeking, there isn't one. At least not one that will last more than a few days at most. No matter if you have 4GB or 8GB of internal storage, that's just too small amount. A more realistic minimum of internal storage is starting at 16GB, an amount that's even now becoming dated; and as for 512MB of RAM, that's much too low a number. RAM is the memory that your phone loads the operating system and running apps into, what you interact with doing anything on your phone. Currently 2GB is a common minimum, and like internal storage even this amount is becoming dated.
    If you want to just keep your J1, you need to set your expectations down to match its limited capabilities (and keep in mind things are only going to get worse as most online services will involve more system resources from your phone to use them) or you just need to get used doing basic maintenance tasks to clear up a few MBs of storage space every few days, or even daily.
    Or just stop living in denial (we all do this about some aspect in our lives) and just upgrade to a more appropriate phone. Get one where you can just pick it up every day and it just works, not one where each time you pick it up there may or may not be some kind of out-of-memory message to deal with.

Jfalls63 and Dannydet like this.
  6. lvt

lvt Android Expert

The J1 was a good phone, but the hardware and software are deprecated long ago.

It's fine if you use the phone to make calls or text, maybe some simple games, but you can't do much like with newer phones.

I still have my old HTC One SV with very similar specs. Yes those phones still work but we shouldn't expect them to run smoothly with today's apps. Just a note, my HTC has 1GB RAM, not 512MB.

7. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Turn off whatever is warning you about RAM. 71% usage is normal for Android (my phone has 4GB RAM and is currently at 81% usage), so whatever is telling you that is a problem is just trying to scare you. Get rid of any ram boosters/battery boosters/task killers or whatever else they are calling themselves this week.

Dannydet likes this.
  8. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Ram expander/booster might work quite well if the phone is rooted and you use a Class 10 SD card.

9. taylor1277

taylor1277 Lurker

Thank you seriously ahhh finally a professional answer.

10. taylor1277

taylor1277 Lurker

that is what I was thinking all along. it is this situation that tells me this and wants me to download some other program they have. again thank you too for your professionalism.

11. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Have you installed any type of phone optimizer? Android itself would never warn you about low RAM. I would suspect that it may be your problem. Phone optimizers/ram boosters, etc are usually just a platform for adware or selling you utility that you don't need.

As for the SD card, you can't simply pop that in and expand the phones internal storage. Some newer phones do have an option to "adopt" the SD card and part of the internal partition, but there are several problems with that. First, it will encrypt your card bind it to the phone. You should never remove it at that point, or you run the risk of damaging the contents. Since it's encrypted, there would never be a reason to remove it anyway and the files will not be readable on any other device. Next, SD cards are much slower than internal RAM and can have a negative impact on performance. Finally, they are fragile and can fail without warning. They were never intended to support constant read/write of system memory. They are much better suited to temporary file storage.

Samsung Galaxy J1 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy J1 release date was February 2015. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Spreadtrum processor, and 1850mAh battery.

February 2015
Release Date
Reviews