1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How can I change default media player (for web browser)?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by RazzMaTazz, May 19, 2011.

1. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

Jan 28, 2011
    Is there a way to set or change the default media player (especially for specific file types or web browsing)?

I have two media players on my phone (MoboPlayer and Seaman Player). When I visit the Caltrans website and click on a link to stream live traffic-cam video (in ASX format) the browser launches the MoboPlayer which is not capable of playing the ASX format. I want it to launch the Seaman Player, which (supposedly) is capable of playing ASX files.

I have tried going into setting/Applications/Manage Applications, and then tried to clear the defaults for MoboPlayer, but no defaults are set.

Advertisement

2. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    Try doing a google search for android media players that plays ASX format and see what comes up. if you find one in the market, download it.

3. sonofaresiii

sonofaresiii Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    NYC
    If you already set the default (maybe you opened that file type once, set a default and forgot?) I think you can...

Go to settings > applications > manage applications, select the application (MoboPlayer), I believe there's an option for "clear defaults."

4. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

Jan 28, 2011
    Itsallgood: If you read my original post you'll see that I loaded the ASX-capable SeamanPlayer. I'm asking how to make it the default player.

Sonofaresii: If you read my original post you'll see that I had already tried what you suggested but that there were no defaults to clear.