• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can I delete words from predictive text (NOT user dictionary)?

All I keep seeing is advice about how to delete words from the 'dictionary,' but I have words popping up in my predictive text that are NOT in my dictionary (like AfterDawn, every time I type after). I know how to customize my dictionary via Language and Input. Also, long pressing the predictive texts suggestions gives me NO options. Samsung Galaxy S5 Active running ATT's 4.4.2 (no Root).
Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks - kwhopson

IIRC, the SwiftKey keyboard app will allow you to remove all of those words.

I use it, and I just started to type a message and used convoluted words to see what pops up. In each case, a Long Press would allow me to remove that word from "Learned Words"

give it a try, I think it will solve your problem. It is a great keyboard app, tried several and this one is the one I always go back to.

* SwiftKey Keyboard - Android Apps on Google Play

Upvote 0
I tried SwiftKey, but settled on Perfect Keyboard Pro for one reason that I could find in no other keyboards ... a key with the ability to toggle T9 on and off (see pic).

It really seems predictive text ought to be a system controlled feature, not an app controlled feature.

Clipboard01.jpg

Upvote 0
Hmmm, think I will try that, but I have never been able to get acquainted with "T9"

I am not a habitual texter that memorizes all of the short little macros...

Well, it seems that SwiftKey is using T9 protocol all the time... which is okay with me.
I found this at Wikipedia..... just had never bothered to see what T9 is.

Design

T9's objective is to make it easier to type text messages. It allows words to be entered by a single keypress for each letter, as opposed to the multi-tap approach used in conventional mobile phone text entry, in which several letters are associated with each key, and selecting one letter often requires multiple keypresses.
It combines the groups of letters on each phone key with a fast-access dictionary of words. It looks up in the dictionary all words corresponding to the sequence of keypresses and orders them by frequency of use. As T9 gains familiarity with the words and phrases the user commonly uses, it speeds up the process by offering the most frequently used words first and then lets the user access other choices with one or more presses of a predefined Next key.
The dictionary can be expanded by adding missing words, enabling them to be recognized in the future. After introducing a new word, the next time the user tries to produce that word T9 will add it to the predictive dictionary.
The user database (UDB) can be expanded via multi-tap. The implementation of the user database depends on the version of T9 and how T9 is actually integrated on the device. Some phone manufacturers implement a permanent user database, while others implement one for the duration of the session.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones