1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How can I get a special notification sound for SMS / messages only?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Biffos, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

How can I get a special notification sound for SMS / messages only?

There are so many notifcations all the time and I want a sound sounding only when an SMS / message comes in and not for other reasons? How could I achieve that?

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

First, go into settings>sound>do not disturb. There you set what you want to go through or not, but remember this is for sound only. So if you set everything under the advanced tab to off and set your Calls settings to not allow anyone and then your SMS, MMS to only from contacts what you will do is silence your phone except for text messages when in Don Not Disturb mode. You'll still get the notifications, but they won't play any sound. Now, DND mode can be set for only a specific length of time, on at certain times during the day or on until you turn it off.

You could also go into each apps settings and turn off notifications, but then you won't get the visual notification either.

You'll have to play around to see what works best for you.

MoodyBlues and Hadron like this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

If you mean a different sound for SMS, go into your message app's settings, find the notification settings and change the notification tone.

If you mean that you want everything else silent, you can turn off the notifications for individual apps, or set a "do not disturb" rule which silences apps by default but allows message alerts.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  4. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

So this means to turn the other sounds off? Actually they can keep sounding like they do now. Only the sound for SMS shall be different. The same as having a different sound for calls. I just want to be able to distinguish the SMS (sounds) from the others.

That would not be good, I assume.

Yes, a different sound for SMS, all of the other sounds can stay as they are.

No, I don't.

5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Then it's simple: open your SMS app, go to its settings and change the notification tone.

Dannydet likes this.
  6. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

I thought sounds can only be changed in the general settings.Respectively I can touch that SMS / messages icon but cannot find in its settings anything to change the sound.

7. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

On my phone running Oreo 8.0.0:

System Settings | Apps & notifications | App info | Messages* | App notifications | Categories - Default | Sound

Your path may vary, and/or there may be other ways to get there, but it should be similar.

Choose the sound you want and save it. Done!

*Assumes you're using the default, i.e., 'Messages' app. If not, replace that step with your app and continue.

8. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you!
    Administrator

What phone do you have?

9. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

Ah yes, similar here, very hard to find somehow. Thank you. Made it.

A Sony Xperia X F5121. Sorry, should have mention it earlier. I have added the name in the forum settings but it obviously is not shown anywhere. Is there a signature or something like that?

10. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Install Textra on your device and open it, go to its settings and choose customize notifications, choose notifications sound, then find your sound from there.
    Done and done.

11. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

Alright, thank you very much!

12. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

You're welcome. :)