1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How can I get the Google Chrome Browser onto my Android phone?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by YourAdrenaline, Feb 27, 2011.

1. YourAdrenaline

None

Feb 26, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I have a LG Optimus M and I was wondering how (if possible) I can get the Chrome browser on my phone??

I've tried downloading Chrome to Phone but I don't see any changes when I click the internet button (little picture of a world at bottom far right of screen)

Is it actually possible to get the real deal chrome browser on the phone with tabs and the whole works?? (from Google)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch in advance

Advertisement

2. suXor

suXor Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 19, 2010
    U.S.A.
    Chrome to phone is an app that enables you to push a page from Chrome on your PC to your phone. The browser in Android is Google's mobile version of the Chrome browser.

3. YourAdrenaline

None

Feb 26, 2011
    Hi suXor...

Thanks a bunch for the tip but I would like to ask...

You say "the browser" is Google's mobile version of chrome?? which browser are u referring to?

There are 2 on my phone currently. I have the browser that came with the phone (I think it is Metro PCS's browser and I also have Dolphin Pro HD which I downloaded because I was wanting something with Tabs but I think I missed the mark on that.

Is there a particular browser I should download that works best for things like Google Analytics etc??

Thanks again

4. dguy

dguy Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    The browser that comes with Android phones IS Chrome. It's just tweaked to be much more friendly for being on a small touch screen. There are still "tabs" so to speak but they aren't literal tabs. You need to hit menu then you'll see a button for windows. That is your "tab" screen.

5. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010

Well, it isn't REALLY Chrome. It has some of the same "behind the scenes" parts. But the interface doesn't look like or act like the Chrome Browser on your PC.

There isn't a "full Chrome Browser" for android. The "Internet" icon you have on your phone is Google's Android stock browser.

Personally, I like Dolphin Mini. X-Scope is also good if you like Chrome on your PC.

6. aionkk

aionkk Newbie
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    I prefer the stock browser over the fancier market ones even if it isn't actually chrome. It is nice and light and seems to work well with just about everything.

7. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Yep, I tend to prefer stock as well...

8. Daverk

Daverk Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    Male
    Psychologist/nurse
    Ireland
    I hear through the ether that Chrome is coming for Android devices. Don't have Ice Cream,so don't know if integrated with same

9. maheshjagadeesan

None

Nov 29, 2009
    The stock browser isn't really Chrome, and to highlight the fact, we have a new Chrome for Android (beta) out in the Market. Unfortunately, I don't see it working on my Atrix running CM9 :-(

10. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Chrome for Android only works for phones with ICS (Android 4.0)

11. maheshjagadeesan

None

Nov 29, 2009
    Yes, I have CM9 on my Atrix (which is Android 4.0.3), but no, Chrome Beta won't run. Well, to be more accurate, it would run, but won't display any pages after seemingly loading them.

12. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    The guys with Galaxy Nexus don't seem to have problems

13. maheshjagadeesan

None

Nov 29, 2009
    Yes, and I suspect one of the reasons may be (the assumption?) that all Android 4.0 phones will have ONLY software buttons, unlike the Atrix and the many others that all have physical / clearly-marked buttons

14. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Not likely. SGS2 ICS update is already in the works and is in alpha testing a couple of months ago. I doubt its just the buttons. However the chrome app is a beta test and is therefore probably not optimized to run on all devices yet.

15. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    It's okay. I tried Chrome beta on Ice Cream Sandwich, and it's not that good yet. Maybe when it comes out of beta, it'll be better.

16. maheshjagadeesan

None

Nov 29, 2009
    Which phone did you try it on? Did it work at all?

17. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Between Imladris and Lothl
    It has potential. For example, switching tabs by swiping starting from off the screen to across the screen is brilliant! No more accidentally switching tabs by just trying to scroll to the edge of the screen. Also, closing open tabs in the tab list by flicking them left or right is so much easier than trying to hit a little "x". These are features you wonder why nobody thought of before.

Text reflow works way better on the standard ICS browser and it's a bit smoother. Even with those things, I can't say Chrome beta is "not good yet". It's got a lot of potential.

18. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    CDMA Galaxy Nexus. Yes, it works. Nothing is broken. It just needs more polish.

First of all, I was not seeing the touted speed it's supposed to have. Webpages loaded more slowly on Chrome beta than on Browser, Firefox, Dolphin, Opera, and xScope. Some pages wouldn't load at all and would just hang and need to be refreshed.

The animation for opening a new tab looks spiffy but is functionally hampering. When you open a link in a new tab, a phantom window appears in front of of your current tab covering the bottom half and then sinks down to let you know "It opened but in the background." That communication's great, except that it blocks the page you're reading while it's doing the "cool" animation. I think there are better ways to indicate a new tab has opened in the background. For an example, in the desktop version of Firefox if you have too many tabs open to view at once and then open one in the background, you'll see a tiny flash on the far right of the tab bar.

Likewise, when you're managing tabs to close, there's a cool animation--you can swipe a tab away to the left or right to close it. Looks cool. But it's still not a tab. It still follows the iPhone Safari / Android Browser paradigm of separate windows you have to manage. What this means is that every time you want to close a tab, you have to do an extra tap to get the list of open "tabs" (really windows, not tabs) and then manage them and then tap again on a tab to bring it into focus. A lot of extra work. In xScope, Boat, Dolphin, and Opera, you can manage actual tabs in the interface itself without a lot of extra taps to bring up new interfaces.

19. maheshjagadeesan

None

Nov 29, 2009
    They probably wanted to do something to differentiate their effort on a phone. I'm told tab management is different on Android ICS tablets

20. maheshjagadeesan

None

Nov 29, 2009
    It now works, though I can't remember doing anything different other than Sync-ing properly with my Google account. Trying to access tabs will still FC it

21. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    I'll try Chrome if it ever becomes available on gingerbread... but I doubt it will be any better than Xscope. My default browser is "Chrome like", but when it comes to displaying mobile pages it sucks compared to Xscope.