• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How can I go about Replacing Icons?

I've been doing a LOT of trying different ROMs and themes, and want to get in to a bit of designing myself.

The actual icon designing I can do. What I need to know is the best way to implement it.

I'm referring to the icons for specific apps (i.e. Market, Gmail, etc.). I was thinking I could open the .apk and replace the files that way, but that would mean an update for the app would un-do my work, right?

I know there are apps out there that replace the launcher that allow you to change icons, but from what I remember, they are normally buggy. Has this changed?

So, what is everyone's opinion on the BEST way to replace icons? Thanks!

Can I use Better Cut to make shortcuts to apps? I took a look at the app, but didn't see an option for apps.

Pretty sure you can. But I haven't tried using BetterCut with Froyo, so I'm not 100% certain. My advice would be to purchase the app and a few icon packs and play around with it - see what you can do with it. If you're unsafisfied with it, you can always get a refund as long as you take care of that within 24 hours.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones