• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I increase data entry area in Samsung Messages SMS?

Mojo88

Jan 24, 2022
Samsung S21 here, using Samsung Messages SMS. This should be a generalized question.

When I am creating a text, the data entry area is quite small. This means I often end up sending a text without reviewing it completely, and it has a bunch of mistakes. Is there any way to enlarge the entry area so that I can easily see more of the text I am creating? Maybe the attached pic will help. I am certainly willing to move to a new SMS app, so long as no ads. I don't mind paying for the app. Thanks

text1.JPG

I don't think there's any way to make the message composition box larger with the stock Samsung SMS app, But it can scroll up and down the composition box, and can review and edit any part of the message that way.

Textra is an alternative third-party SMS app that's often recommended on AF.

Upvote 0
I don't think there's any way to make the message composition box larger with the stock Samsung SMS app, But it can scroll up and down the composition box, and can review and edit any part of the message that way.

Textra is an alternative third-party SMS app that's often recommended on AF.

Thanks..... Yes, I'm aware of the ability to scroll up and down that minuscule entry box, but it seems counter-intuitive to have such a tiny entry area and still be looking at prior texts above. The prior texts above should shrink away as I type, and my entry area should keep expanding to accommodate my new text. It doesn't make sense the way it is, which is why I'm thinking there may be a setting to adjust it. Or a replacement app, whichever is needed. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Again, it may not want to be the answer that you want to hear, but I am using a different program for texting called Textra. It is pretty good, but if I need to send a large attachment sometimes I have to switch to messages. You may also want to try turning your phone sideways. It can be a bit difficult to hold the phone and type, but if you are using voice texting like I am right now, at least you can see a little bit more the lines horizontally than vertically.

Upvote 0
texts.jpg

........get a bigger phone like the z fold 3;)

sorry had to say it. yeah not much you can do. some other texting apps might have a bigger area, but it will not be much

I'm actually thinking about something like that. I honestly don't need a HUGE texting area, just more than what's there. I'm pretty sure there is another SMS out there that will fix me right up, I just gotta find it. Thanks

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
FYI SMS itself has always been limited to 160 characters per message. So maybe that's why they only provide a certain size data entry box? And if you are composing a message of more than 160 chars, it will be sent by the phone and network as multiple concatenated SMS, or as an MMS(which some carriers might charge a premium for).

On my old Nokia Symbian phones, the messaging on those would show a countdown for the number of characters left for a single SMS. And if one went over 160 chars, it would state the message would be sent as multiple SMS. Some carriers might still charge per message(160 char SMS) sent, especially if one is roaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mojo88 and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
FYI SMS itself has always been limited to 160 characters per message. So maybe that's why they only provide a certain size data entry box? And if you are composing a message of more than 160 chars, it will be sent by the phone and network as multiple concatenated SMS, or as an MMS(which some carriers might charge a premium for).

On my old Nokia Symbian phones, the messaging on those would show a countdown for the number of characters left for a single SMS. And if one went over 160 chars, it would state the message would be sent as multiple SMS. Some carriers might still charge per message(160 char SMS) sent, especially if one is roaming.

Ahh, thanks. I often receive lengthy texts (from my daughter's iPhone) that have been bifurcated into two or three separate messages. Now I know why. Thanks...................... ;)

Like I've said, I only want another line or two in the composition area. It seems logical that area should be able to expand more than it does. There's plenty of room on the screen.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
In the Google Messages app there is an option in settings 'Pinch to zoom conversation text'. When this is enabled you can zoom the text as large as you want.

Can you 'pinch' to expand the entry area? I don't need to zoom the text, tho that is a good option, thanks. I want to be able to quickly review the whole text prior to sending.

Upvote 0
In the Google Messages app there is an option in settings 'Pinch to zoom conversation text'. When this is enabled you can zoom the text as large as you want.

Well, I've been playing with Google Messages, and could not get the 'Pinch' to work, then I read through the technical stuff and discovered this, "Note that you cannot use the pinch-to-zoom gesture to increase or decrease the font size when the keyboard is open." and I was like..... HUH?!?!?! It only works during 'conversations'. So that really stinks. I want to 'Pinch' while texting, arghhhhhhhhhh................ o_O Am I missing something here? It seems like it should work with the keyboard open, or why even bother with the 'Pinch' feature???????

Upvote 0
Again, it may not want to be the answer that you want to hear, but I am using a different program for texting called Textra. It is pretty good, but if I need to send a large attachment sometimes I have to switch to messages.
Attachments are different anyway. Textra does SMS and MMS, but MMS is about the worst way to send any sort of media (limited files sizes, poor image resolution, and here in the UK it's also stupidly expensive - ironic, since SMS have been effectively free for a very long time).

If "Messages" means Google's app, does that mean you are using RCS to send them? If so it does rely on the other person being able to receive RCS too (far from a given: only a few message apps support RCS, not all networks, and of course only Android phones). Once you get beyond SMS/MMS we're stuck with the problem of both parties needing to use the same system, and while the idea had been that RCS would solve that as a universal, built-in standard the reality is that that hasn't worked (because it requires effort from the networks and because Apple refuse to support it as it would mean that iMessage would no longer be able to lock Apple customers in).

The honest truth is that if I have a significant attachment to sent I'll use email anyway. ;)

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones