• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I install an application that no longer supports my tablet.

I have a Sony Tablet S that I bought a few years back and it has served me pretty well, but eventually it became bogged down with the sheer number of installed apps, so I decided to start afresh with a factory reset.

All good, until I came to reinstall Chrome. "not compatible with your device", I was informed. The same result with Google Sheets. Is there any way I can either:
  • install the damned thing anyway, and take the risk that it might not work properly ?(I wouldn't mind betting that the only thing that's not "compatible" is some worthless piece of eye candy they have added).
  • retrieve a previous "compatible" version to install ?
Any comments appreciated.

R

Sony Tablet S, that's quite old now, probably Honeycomb 3.0 or ICS 4.0. Likely recent versions of Chrome or Sheets just will not run on it, not supported. But you can always try of course. It's not just eye candy, there have been some major changes to how Android works, e.g. how SD storage is handled, and the change from Dalvik to ART.

Yeh, could try older previous versions of those apps from http://www.apkmirror.com/ they might work. Bare in mind these are NOT supported by Google and you're on your own. :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will add that you should be very careful about where you get apps if it's not the Play Store. APK Mirror is reputable (run by the folks at Android Police), but that's about the only external site I'd look to.

There are way too many other sites waiting to take advantage of your trusting nature.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones