1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How can I make the word "I" auto-capitialize when I type? Also, moving keys around on keyboard?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by VGPod36, Feb 16, 2011.

1. VGPod36

VGPod36 Newbie
    None

Nov 4, 2010
    I know, I know, I could just press SHIFT before typing "I" but I type so fast, and never remember to do that, then when I sent the message, I noticed that all of my I's are i's... It has an auto capitalization feature, I just wish I could add "I" to the list of words...

Also, I hate the new keyboard on 2.2. The period is now on the right of the spacebar, so most of the time when I type, everything.i.type.looks.like.this..and.then.i.have.to.delete.the.entire.message.and.start.again..AARGH!
    Yeah, that was an annoying example, but it's pretty accurate. Is there any way I can move the period to where it was on Eclaire?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. VGPod36

VGPod36 Newbie
    None

Nov 4, 2010
    Anybody able to help me with this?

Thanks

3. BookLover

BookLover Android Expert
    None

Oct 11, 2010
    USA
    I use Swype on my captivate.

It autocapitalizes the I amongst a few other nice features. I type faster with Swype than with the traditional tap-keyboards. If it weren't for Swype, I wouldn't use a phone without a slideout keyboard.

4. VGPod36

VGPod36 Newbie
    None

Nov 4, 2010
    I can't stand Swype... I tried it and really just hated the concept. But to each their own eh?

Any help on this when using my regular keyboard?

5. BookLover

BookLover Android Expert
    None

Oct 11, 2010
    USA
    In that case, I would say don't worry about. Most msgs in text is abbreviated in some way, lower case i won't be considered amiss.

6. SuFuCru

SuFuCru Member
    None

Feb 1, 2011
    I didn't like Swype at first till I learned you can teach it words. Once I got it dialed in the way I liked it, I haven't looked back. With the update though, it kinda reset swype for me, so I'm having to reteach it.

For some reason I can't use the actual keyboard function on this phone as effectively.

7. El Niche

El Niche Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Miami, FL

Settings-locale and text-android keyboard (or samsung keybord whichever you are using)-auto capitalization (check)

Hope this helps

8. VGPod36

VGPod36 Newbie
    None

Nov 4, 2010
    I have had this checked since day one. It will auto capitalize all words except "I". I tried entering a capitalized I as a new word, but that didn't work either...

Also, I know that when texting it's fine, it just bugs me when it isn't. :eek:

Also, I post on a lot of forums and I type in various other ways on my phone, besides texting, so having that feature would be great.

For some reason Swype is just never going to work for me. It really bugs me to use it. I handed it to a friend who has never used it, and has only used the standard iPhone keyboard, and she Swyped like a pro on the first go. Well, mostly, she made a few mistakes. Either way, I like tapping my keys :p

9. ulbonado

ulbonado Member
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    It autocapitalizes i->I for me. Using the new stock 2.2. I did notice that the upgrade switched me from the Android keyboard (which does this) to the Samsung keyboard (which doesn't). Perhaps you're on the Samsung keyboard?

10. timbuk2

timbuk2 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    I'm using the 2.2 new Android Keypad and it doesn't capitalize "I" for me... I also have suggestions/predictive text or whatever it's called turned off, but it continues to show me a bunch of numbers as suggestions and it keeps expanding as I type...popping up like a phone number. Can't seem to get rid of it and have no idea what it is, but must look for another keypad. I don't know how anyone could use Swype, I wasted a half a day on it.

11. VGPod36

VGPod36 Newbie
    None

Nov 4, 2010
    Yeah, I am using the Samsung keyboard, because for some stupid reason Rogers deletes the Android Keyboard from all of their phones... Or at least from the two Android phones I have had, first being HTD Dream (should have ben called Nightmare..).

12. Buddha64

Buddha64 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 7, 2010
    DB-0855-03 Aviation Electronics Engineer
    Redstone Arsenal, AL
    Make sure Auto-substitution is checked in XT9 advanced???