• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I maximize customization without rooting?

Scared! I know I am. I know everyone says how easy it is and I watched the videos and read a lot of the text about it, but my wife would kill me if I somehow bricked my phone. Plus I see all the problems people have after rooting and I'm still trouble free. Maybe after 2.1 comes out I might think about it, but for now my Hero stays stock.

I'm not answering for the OP, this is just how I feel about it.

Reactions: rswheaton
Upvote 0
Scared! I know I am. I know everyone says how easy it is and I watched the videos and read a lot of the text about it, but my wife would kill me if I somehow bricked my phone. Plus I see all the problems people have after rooting and I'm still trouble free. Maybe after 2.1 comes out I might think about it, but for now my Hero stays stock.

No issues bro... super easy, you will not brick and you will be amazed on how your phone performs! Get on it...

Upvote 0
I am rooted.. and have custom ROM...
NO issues..

what I see that people have issues with the Hero are:
1. They gone farther than needed.. doing extra things.
2. Pushing the evelope : speeding up CPU speed
3. Using Unofficial ROMs: ROMs that are still under construction and in testing!
4. Problems with phone that is not related to ROM or Rooting. Which others that have stock have issues too!
5. Use the WRONG Radio / ROM for the Hero you have!
6. USER error / not following instructions correctly.

If you root and stick with the Official Release ROMs and not try experimental tweaks..
YOU WILL BE HAPPY!!!!!

:) root it!!!

Upvote 0

I was too..until I downloaded pre kitchen and ran it without problem. Worse case scenario the root doesn't take, it is almost impossible to brick this phone unless you do it on purpose......However, I can appreciate your concern......

Upvote 0
rooting is really easy and you'll be much happier with the phone if you do. I was scared for some reason, which I am not sure why because I flashed my htc diamond and touch pro over 100 times. There is only so much you can do with the stock rom. You can make it look good but it will still be a slow performer. It is real easy to go back to the stock rom and show no signs of rooting by flashing the stock RUU.

Upvote 0
I am rooted.. and have custom ROM...
NO issues..

what I see that people have issues with the Hero are:
1. They gone farther than needed.. doing extra things.
2. Pushing the evelope : speeding up CPU speed
3. Using Unofficial ROMs: ROMs that are still under construction and in testing!
4. Problems with phone that is not related to ROM or Rooting. Which others that have stock have issues too!
5. Use the WRONG Radio / ROM for the Hero you have!
6. USER error / not following instructions correctly.

If you root and stick with the Official Release ROMs and not try experimental tweaks..
YOU WILL BE HAPPY!!!!!

:) root it!!!

Where do you recommend getting the icorrect instructions for rooting a Hero? I have been considering it... but will definitely wait until after 2.1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones