• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How can I (mostly) ensure a safe rooting of my LG Volt 2?

I just got this new phone, and I had decided I was not going to root, as I didn't wanna risk anything; however, the storage space is soooo small. I want to be able to install apps fully on my SD card, and I hear the only way to do that is by rooting.

I can't find any kind of KDZ or recovery online.

So,

1) Is there a way to make a backup that I can use if I accidentally soft-brick?

2) How do I go about setting my SD card as the primary storage for apps?

3) Will I be able to accomplish that with Kingroot alone, without switching to Super SU or something?

4) What can I do throughout my ownership of the phone to prevent bricking it?

I wanna minimize all risk as much as possible. The phone is an LG Volt 2 with Android 5.1.1 from Boost Mobile.

Thanks, guys!

Welcome to our AndroidForums, @KillerTuxedo :).

I'm not intimately familiar with your particular device, so I think I'd first have a peek at our LG Volt 2 root area and see what threads and info have already been posted:

That being said, you definitely need to be careful and take steps to ensure that you're not going to do something that you cannot get yourself out of (we've seen countless threads by folks that leap before they look and at least you've done the sane thing and post and ask first).

Cheers and safe rooting!

:)

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Hey, thanks, @scary alien :D

I followed your advice, and I found this cool post that seems to cover both rooting and recovering from a soft-bricked device:

http://androidforums.com/threads/root-lg-volt2-5-1-1.937616/

I'm still not sure I fully understand it, so hopefully someone there can explain it, but I'm gonna leave the link in case other people searching for this same thing for this phone find this post first.

Thanks again!

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
There's no such thing as a safe way to use Kingroot in my opinion. I could be wrong, but in the past, it seems that it runs and installs a ton of useless crap on my cell that if I don't immediately remove (using a third party uninstaller app with root permission after having installed superSU or something else to replace kingroot) ... Ends up requiring me to factory reset the phone and start over, praying that the SU binary would stick, and not the Kingroot. It caused my phone to crash and ads to pop up constantly (only proof I have is the fact that the cell would work flawlessly before Kingroot install). Use Google, it can be a great resource for finding new root methods. But Kingroot... And another Chinese one with an anchor for their logo I believe?... Avoid like the plague.

Again... This is all subjective and should not be taken as "official" advice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones