1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How can I recover deleted messages?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Android Question

Hi, I accidentally deleted all my sms messages on my Sony Xperia phone.

I alsmost didn't use the phone since then and tried several apps for recovering files, like Wondershare Dr.Fone, but the best I got was like 10 messages. Before I had like hundreds of

messages on my phone.

Can I get my messages back and how?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Very unlikely you can: they were stored in a database file in an area of storage you can't directly access unless rooted. So normal file recovery software won't see it, and anything you have done has probably overwritten the data anyway.

Best bet for the future is to install a message backup app (there are lots) and use that. There are apps that back up to the phone or to the cloud, and some can back up automatically. But they won't help with stuff that hasn't been backed up.

Sorry

3. Jank

Jank Lurker

Do you think if I rooted it, I might be able to access it?

4. SelenaLee

SelenaLee Well-Known Member

I don't think root your device can help you retrieve the deleted message, the reason you can not recover them by using 3rd party recovery tool such as Wondershare Dr.Fone is that those deleted messages were probably overwritten by other data.

Really sorry.

5. Jank

Jank Lurker

I barely used my phone since I deleted it, I have it offline, so I don't write any data on it. Do you think it was still overwritten?

6. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

One way to find out - try it and see. If you do, be sure to Google "Android Dr.Fone discount" before purchasing, because discount codes are always available online.