1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How can I remove the Default Orange Apps on my Desire HD?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by DCUltrapro, Mar 18, 2011.

1. DCUltrapro

DCUltrapro Well-Known Member
    None

Hi guys,

Very new to Android and must say I'm loving it so far. But I was having problems yesterday with a few games I had installed, they seemed to stop working and I had trouble reinstalling them, msgs such as unable to install, package not found etc and even a msg saying I didn't have enough space yet I checked and my available memory was nearly 2 gb on my card.

Needless to say I managed to get the games back on it after a lot of hardwork but I just wanted to try and clean the phone up and theres a tonne of rubbish from Orange that I will NEVER use... things like The Sims, Uno, Ball Breaker, Twitter, Flickr, soundhound etc etc, but I can't remove ANY of them, I go to settings then applications and manage but none of them can be uninstalled, the uninstall button is simply greyed out. I can remove anything I install but nothing by orange. Is there no way of doing this?

Any help would be most appreciated. thanks

Pro

Advertisement

2. piertown

piertown Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 28, 2010
    Rooting is the only way I think

3. DCUltrapro

DCUltrapro Well-Known Member
    None

Yeah someone did mention Rooting but I'm an absolute NOOB and have no idea how that works. I'm pretty good with pcs etc but my last phone was a Sony Ericsson W995 which I had for 18 months +!! Any tips on that? thanks

4. piertown

piertown Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 28, 2010
    I havnt rooted yet. I got my hd unbranded with a orange sim so havnt got all the bloatware you have,if you do a search there are a lot of ways to root,some seem very easy like the visionary+ method,do a bit of reading first though

5. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Yes rooting is the only way, those apps are built into the system. However, if you do some research on here, especially in the All Things Root section, and the subforum for your device, you will find MANY guides and threads to make it easy. My advice though, and everyone on here will say the same thing, DONT root if you dont know what you are doing. Spend some time reading all that you can, and if you still have questions, ask.

6. JLang

None

Mar 9, 2011
    It was a memory warning. Not a storage warning. It pertains to your phone's built-in memory which apparently is getting low, not to its external storage (card), which clearly isn't.

7. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    You have to root the phone to completely uninstall default app-crap. But you can root temporarily very simply and safely and permanently disable them, as in stays disabled even after a reboot. Very effective. You don't save a little space, but has an advantage that unlike a permanently rooted unit you can still receive OS updates normally.

I tried writing up a n00b-friendly basic guide with info links here:
    Re: pre-loaded apps that cannot be installed keep ... - Page 4 - T-Mobile Community
    It's intended for the HTC G2 (aka Desire Z) but should apply to your Desire. Hope it helps.