• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I remove the Default Orange Apps on my Desire HD?

Hi guys,

Very new to Android and must say I'm loving it so far. But I was having problems yesterday with a few games I had installed, they seemed to stop working and I had trouble reinstalling them, msgs such as unable to install, package not found etc and even a msg saying I didn't have enough space yet I checked and my available memory was nearly 2 gb on my card.

Needless to say I managed to get the games back on it after a lot of hardwork but I just wanted to try and clean the phone up and theres a tonne of rubbish from Orange that I will NEVER use... things like The Sims, Uno, Ball Breaker, Twitter, Flickr, soundhound etc etc, but I can't remove ANY of them, I go to settings then applications and manage but none of them can be uninstalled, the uninstall button is simply greyed out. I can remove anything I install but nothing by orange. Is there no way of doing this?

Any help would be most appreciated. thanks

Pro

Yes rooting is the only way, those apps are built into the system. However, if you do some research on here, especially in the All Things Root section, and the subforum for your device, you will find MANY guides and threads to make it easy. My advice though, and everyone on here will say the same thing, DONT root if you dont know what you are doing. Spend some time reading all that you can, and if you still have questions, ask.

Upvote 0
You have to root the phone to completely uninstall default app-crap. But you can root temporarily very simply and safely and permanently disable them, as in stays disabled even after a reboot. Very effective. You don't save a little space, but has an advantage that unlike a permanently rooted unit you can still receive OS updates normally.

I tried writing up a n00b-friendly basic guide with info links here:
Re: pre-loaded apps that cannot be installed keep ... - Page 4 - T-Mobile Community
It's intended for the HTC G2 (aka Desire Z) but should apply to your Desire. Hope it helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones