1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How can I set a custom title for an application icon?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by inhahe, Jan 22, 2016.

1. inhahe

inhahe Lurker

I'd like to have app like, say, a memo pad on my home screen, but with the text/title/whatever-you-call-it for the icon set to a custom message.

I gather that you can do this with apps like ADW Launcher, but I don't know if I want to install any of those because I don't know if I'll like how it changes the look of my home screen. I want things pretty much the same as they are, especially with the live wallpaper I have set.

Is there another way? Thanks

Ps. a way to change the actual graphical icon might come in useful too.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. psionandy

psionandy Extreme Android User

I Think it's pretty much handled by the launcher... Be it the default one that came with your phone.. Or a 3rd party one like add (or my favourite Nova Launcher)

What device do you have? Someone may be able to help with your current launcher?

(I've also just realised that typing the world launcher over and over again just makes it look strange. launcher launcher launcher launcher)

3. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Android Expert

What phone is it? I know on my G4 you can long press or double tap or something on an icon and a little paintbrush comes up in corner of the symbol allowing you to change the icon, I assume this is the same among other LGs but I can't be sure.
    Otherwise, without root or an aftermarket launcher I doubt it can be done. You can download a launcher from play store, try it out, see if you can modify to your liking and if you don't like just uninstall the launcher or swap back to stock launcher as the default and it will all be as you left it.

4. SavageRobot

Haha @psionandy I just got that feeling from "launcher" too :D

psionandy likes this.
  5. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

Another referral for Nova, here. You can set it up, as you like. Really useful if you prefer alternative icons.

6. inhahe

inhahe Lurker

Thanks for the responses. For those asking what kind of phone I have, it's a Galaxy 4. @psionandy

@SavageRobot double tapping just launches the app, and long pressing just lets me change its position on the homescreen.

Maybe I will try Nova. First I think I'll wait and see if anybody can tell me how to do it with my phone's default launcher.

psionandy likes this.
  7. SavageRobot

I don't think you can with Touchwiz (Samsungs default launcher/UI) I think you will have to us 3rd party launcher.

chanchan05 likes this.
  8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Yup. Touchwiz (Samsung's default launcher interface) doesn't have that feature.