1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How can I stop apps repeatedly auto-starting daily

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by robertjg, May 13, 2016.

1. robertjg

robertjg Lurker
    None

Aug 6, 2011
    West Cornwall
    This seems to be a persistent problem that I have had with every device I have ever owned.

Despite running maintenance tools on my tablet and phone, so many of the apps on my devices auto-start multiple times every minute. I seem to be spending as much time keeping the devices running smoothly and fast enough as I do actually using the device. The tools close the apps down fine, until I run them again an hour later, when the maintenance tool tells me that the apps that were previously shut down, have since restarted themselves multiple times every minute!! So the maintenance tools aren't doing their job.

Does anyone know any apps that will (properly) stop this happening please? Or will rooting stop it?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    First thing: stop "running maintenance tools". Read this thread: http://androidforums.com/threads/pu...k-killers-ram-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/

If there is an app running that you don't need at all, uninstall or disable it. If you need it but it's rogue and actually impacting the device, find an alternative. If you just think that you should have a lot of free RAM, that's not how Linux works: an app that's inactive in RAM is doing no harm, and will be using less power than if it had to be reloaded every time you use it.

Seriously, task killers/RAM boosters/battery savers/whatever slow the device down and waste power.

MLSS, svim, chanchan05 and 1 other person like this.
  3. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    It's not a matter of those maintenance tools not doing their job, it's more of an issue that they aren't necessary. You're micromanaging your phone and you just don't need to. Most 'maintenance tools' are smoke-and-mirror apps that are 90% peace of mind for the user, 10% actually performing anything beneficial. Android's basic system management will keep your phone running more efficiently than you can by adding any pseudo-utilities.

Hadron and psionandy like this.
  4. robertjg

robertjg Lurker
    None

Aug 6, 2011
    West Cornwall
    Thanks Hadron, I will read that thread.

I use the tools because they DO remove the severe lag and jerky running that often affects the device, albeit for an hour or two. That lag has now become so severe, (sometimes minutes before the device responds at all), that the device is of no practical use to me any longer, and has become a largely useless piece of electronics.

As for having free RAM, I'm not concerned about how little free RAM I have, I'm only concerned that the device runs fairly smoothly and fairly fast. I always buy devices with really good reviews in the IT press, so I think that's a realistic expectation.

I have already un-installed the apps I don't use. I take care to install apps with good reviews.

I look forward to getting to the bottom of this problem.

Many thanks for your help.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    The bottom of this problem is that you used those so called maintenance tools. They DO NOT remove the lag and jerkiness. Well they do for a couple of hours, but that is the cause of the increasing severity of the lag, because they damaged the learning algorithms that Android has. Android is designed with learning algorithms to determine which apps are used the most and are pre-loaded. These algorithms have been overloaded by task kills and restarts that they are causing the lag. At this point I suggest a factory reset to clean out the algorithms and just start fresh, keeping in mind what you have learned from the aforementioned linked thread and not using any booster app anymore.

MLSS likes this.