1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How can I update to 2.1?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Pasck, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Pasck

Pasck Lurker
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    Hello! I've spent a lot of time reading yesterday night but still couldn't find a solution yet so here I am asking you guys for help.

Some friend just bought a new cellphone and gave me his htc hero, also I never even owned a cellphone before. :eek:

For the moment there's no SIM card in the thing I'll be using it for the wifi access, GPS, mp3, etc.

I'm not sure where he got the phone exactly I won't see him until Tuesday and was trying to play around with it this weekend, I live in canada and strangely the only local settings it seems I can choose are countries from Europe. The phone doesn't seems to be linked to any phone service in particuliar

Now the thing is that it's still on android 1.5 and i'd like to update to 2.1, but there's no option to check for updates in system info. I also tried to change the date and that force update phone number thing. Also I'm connected to my wifi access and there doesn't seems to be any problems with it, except the youtube app won't even play any video, Maybe it's an old version and need to be update too?

here's the current build number : 2.73.405.66 CL#83173 test-keys

That test-keys thing seems pretty weird, some test release ROM I guess? I tried installing both 2.73.405.5 and 2.73.405.66 release WWE RUU, it would connect perfectly with my phone and start but I get a 131 ERROR everytime something about the client ID.

Also if I check my build with android system info I got from the market, I get these informations if that can somehow help :

Board: hero
    Brand: htc_wwe
    Display : htc_hero-userdebug 1.5 CUPCAKE eng. u70000.20091104.163256 test-keys
    Fingerprint : htc_wwe/htc_hero/hero/hero:1.5/CUPCAKE/83173:userdebug/test-keys
    Tags: test-keys
    Type: userdebug
    User : u70000

I simply just want to update to 2.1, no rooting or anything, I heard I might be able to force the official firmware to install with a goldcard? Could it be my only solution? Thanks for the help!

Advertisement

2. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Hi Pasck, and welcome!

That 2.73.405.66 firmware is the last Android 1.5 release for the generic worldwide English Hero, so there should be no need for RUU programs and goldcards. :)

Try setting the system date forward a month, restart the phone and then wait - hopefully you'll get a prompt to update. After this installs you'll find an option in Settings/About phone to "Check for updates", which should result in you receiving another larger update to the latest 2.1-update1 firmware.

This should work fine using wifi, btw.

3. Pasck

Pasck Lurker
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    Hello! thanks for the answer but like I said I tried changing the date (on different occasions with dates ranging from different years) and tried the phone number that is supposed to force an update check I heard (#*#*somenumber*#*#) with no results :(

The prompt for updating could appear anytime? When it boot only?

Thanks

4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    I wasn't doubting you, just wanted to ensure that you'd tried a suitably long period. The update can pop up at anytime, but sometimes a restart can "kick start" it.

The handset works just fine on wifi only - my own spends most of its time like that since it's been relegated to standby duties. You Tube was never very reliable on the Hero, but I think it improved slightly with the 2.1 update.

5. Pasck

Pasck Lurker
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    In my case Youtube literally can't play any video at all, every single one I choose I get the message "Sorry, this video cannot be played" :thinking:

Also I found an options called firmware download in security, where i can choose between 'Download automatically', 'Prompt before download' or 'Never'
    It's actually on prompt before download. I'll try putting it on 'automatically' but I don't think it'll change much anything.

Tags: