1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How can I use an app for a specific thing only once?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by ToastOfDoom, Jul 16, 2016.

1. ToastOfDoom

ToastOfDoom Lurker
    None

Jul 2, 2016
    Male
    I know the question is a bit odd, so I'll do my best to explain.
    As a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active user, I recently updated my phone to the much fabled Android Marshmallow 6.0.1
    I've still been looking around at all the new features, but I noticed they got rid of something I used commonly and I don't understand why they got rid of it. Whenever I was doing something and it requried another app to open, and I had multiple apps that could do that same job, I was given a choice on which app I wanted to use, and I could choose to set that app as my default or only use it for this job once. That sounds confusing, let me get an example;
    Say my friend messaged me the address of somewhere we were going to meet up, and the addressed highlighted meaning I could open it up in some form of maps app. When I was on Lollipop, when I tapped the address, an option would appear on which app I wanted to use to open the location if I had multiple. I could use the default Google Maps app, or another one if I had it. Then I could choose to use this app for it only once, or make this app my default whenever I did this action.
    In Marshmallow, this option is gone, I would be given a choice on which app I wanted to use, and that would automatically become my default. So if I wanted to use a different app for it once, like a different maps app just this one time, I would have to go into my system and un-select Google Maps as my default app, and I don't understand why that option is gone, that's one of the reasons I loved Android, all the flexibility and choice. Is there a way to get this back? Or at least an easier way to change default app? I know it sounds confusing so I hope someone can understand it and help me.

Heres a picture of the option menu that I'm talking about that's now gone is 6.0.1:
    [​IMG]
    It's gone and I guess my final point is, is there any way to get it back? Thx!

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    kct1975 and Dannydet like this.
  3. eshieldsvx4

eshieldsvx4 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2014
    Male
    Marshmallow has a dedicated System Settings tile where you can set app preferences. You can make it behave more like LP by unsticking first choice selection.

I didn't get used to it either. I rolled back to LP until a release build of MM is available for my m8. I dislike nightlies.

You can always clear a default individually by going to the App Manager under Settings and clicking "Clear Defaults".

4. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi

There is an app called "Better Open With" that gets over this issue.

scary alien likes this.
  5. eshieldsvx4

eshieldsvx4 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2014
    Male
    When you suggest an app please provide a link. Otherwise your help gets misconstrued and further distances the OP from a solution.

It helps to find native solutions first as third party apps consume memory and if the phone can handle that task a third party app suggestion may be excessive.

I used Marshmallow and having been irked the same way as the OP, a native solution works if it's relatable.