• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can you record calls with the Galaxy S7 Active SM-G891A?

OnGoGS7A

Mar 24, 2021
So many places I call, announce that the call is being recorded, (usually saying "for training purposes"), but on my Galaxy S7 Active SM-G891A phone, I haven't been able to find a call recorder app that works... Do you know one that does? I know it's a difficult problem, because the call recorder that worked fine on my prior phone, a Galaxy S5 Active, does not work on the S7 Active SM-G891A, so maybe Samsung & AT&T have put some hindrance on the S7 model. (I use this S7 unlocked, not on AT&T, just like I did with the S5).

If possible, I'd prefer an app that will allow me to specify a directory on the physical SD card, "/storage/...", not the internal-memory, emulated "/sdcard", to save the recorded calls, so that later, I can play them back elsewhere or using another app if needed.

Please help, I really need to be able to record information I receive in calls... thank you very much!

So many places I call, announce that the call is being recorded, (usually saying "for training purposes"), but on my Galaxy S7 Active SM-G891A phone, I haven't been able to find a call recorder app that works... Do you know one that does? I know it's a difficult problem, because the call recorder that worked fine on my prior phone, a Galaxy S5 Active, does not work on the S7 Active SM-G891A, so maybe Samsung & AT&T have put some hindrance on the S7 model. (I use this S7 unlocked, not on AT&T, just like I did with the S5).

If possible, I'd prefer an app that will allow me to specify a directory on the physical SD card, "/storage/...", not the internal-memory, emulated "/sdcard", to save the recorded calls, so that later, I can play them back elsewhere or using another app if needed.

Please help, I really need to be able to record information I receive in calls... thank you very much!

I believe that's exactly what it is, because manufacturers and carriers must comply with telephone recording laws and ordnances for the country or region the phone was supplied in.

I've got a Galaxy S7 that was originally purchased from Vodafone in the UK, and that can't record phone calls. But on the other hand my Huawei Mate10 and Samsung Galaxy Note20 both purchased in China, and these phones can record all phone calls automatically if I want.

Total Call Recorder has often been recommended on AF, although I've never used it myself of course.
https://totalcallrecorder.com/

Upvote 0
I believe that's exactly what it is, because manufacturers and carriers must comply with telephone recording laws and ordnances for the country or region the phone was supplied in.

I've got a Galaxy S7 that was originally purchased from Vodafone in the UK, and that can't record phone calls. But on the other hand my Huawei Mate10 and Samsung Galaxy Note20 both purchased in China, and these phones can record all phone calls automatically if I want.

Total Call Recorder has often been recommended on AF, although I've never used it myself of course.
https://totalcallrecorder.com/

I still think it is a Google issue, moreso than local laws.

Google is not on devices sold in China, so....

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I still think it is a Google issue, moreso than local laws.

Google is not on devices sold in China, so....

But Google is on phones sold in India, Vietnam, Hong Kong(SAR), etc. and many phones in those countries and regions have call recording as standard, no third-party apps required.

Yes, Google makes Android, however it's open source(AOSP), and so any manufacturers and carriers(the Open Handset Alliance members), like Samsung, etc. who wish to make call recording a standard feature, i.e. baked-in, in regions and countries where telephone call recording is legal, they can.

IANAL of course, but I believe in certain countries like the UK, US, EU, both parties must be informed that a phone call is being recorded, and that's why you hear things like "This call maybe recorded..." when phoning the bank, insurance, etc.

Of course there's nothing to stop anyone recording a phone call using a microphone, or a magnetic pick-up, which we've been doing for decades.

BTW I set my Galaxy Note20 Ultra to automatically record all phone calls, just in case a recording is needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for so many replies, and a world-wide scope and views to ponder over!
As for now, I found an app that records well, on my Galaxy S7 Active running Android 8; in fact it plays back more clearly than I hear during the call. Here is the filename: "Call Recorder ACR_v35.0_apkpure.com.apk"
It's the free version , and it's missing a manual Start button. It starts recording automatically when dialing, so it could be a problem in some instances. There is a Pro, paid version that does a lot more, I haven't had time to look into it.
Also, this version only saves the calls in the internal memory, not on a SD card.
Thanks for the apps mentioned in replies, I'll be interested in checking them out further :) If you know one that saves calls on the physical, /storage/.. SD card, not in the internal /local/sdcard/ area, please let me know, that's an important feature for me
Thanks again

Upvote 0
Thanks for so many replies, and a world-wide scope and views to ponder over!
As for now, I found an app that records well, on my Galaxy S7 Active running Android 8; in fact it plays back more clearly than I hear during the call. Here is the filename: "Call Recorder ACR_v35.0_apkpure.com.apk"
It's the free version , and it's missing a manual Start button. It starts recording automatically when dialing, so it could be a problem in some instances. There is a Pro, paid version that does a lot more, I haven't had time to look into it.
Also, this version only saves the calls in the internal memory, not on a SD card.
Thanks for the apps mentioned in replies, I'll be interested in checking them out further :) If you know one that saves calls on the physical, /storage/.. SD card, not in the internal /local/sdcard/ area, please let me know, that's an important feature for me
Thanks again

I have the same issue. I want to give Call Recorder ACR_v35.0_apkpure.com.apk a try. Where can I download it?

Upvote 0
I have the same issue. I want to give Call Recorder ACR_v35.0_apkpure.com.apk a try. Where can I download it?

Here is the direct download link:
https://apkpure.com/call-recorder-acr/com.nll.acr/download/350-APK

As the filename indicates, it is produced by apkpure.com
If you search by keyword there, you'll get a lot of apps with similar, even same names, so the direct link is important.
I guess you might not be familiar with apkpure? whenever I look to download an app, I look first to see if it's available there, because I dread logging into the data-octopus Google complex...

However, BEWARE: Apkpure bundles some of their apps into an "... .xapk" file, which contains other files than the core files of the ".apk" app. As for myself, I can't take the time to find out if I want the added stuff, so I'm only downloading the apps ending in ".apk", I leave out the ones ending in "xapk".
All in all, (choosing to download only the ".apk" apps), I have found Apkpure to be a wonderful alternative to the Google PlayStore!.
But to install an .apk you must allow "install from unknown sources" on your phone.

Upvote 0
Here is the direct download link:
https://apkpure.com/call-recorder-acr/com.nll.acr/download/350-APK

As the filename indicates, it is produced by apkpure.com
If you search by keyword there, you'll get a lot of apps with similar, even same names, so the direct link is important.
I guess you might not be familiar with apkpure? whenever I look to download an app, I look first to see if it's available there, because I dread logging into the data-octopus Google complex...

However, BEWARE: Apkpure bundles some of their apps into an "... .xapk" file, which contains other files than the core files of the ".apk" app. As for myself, I can't take the time to find out if I want the added stuff, so I'm only downloading the apps ending in ".apk", I leave out the ones ending in "xapk".
All in all, (choosing to download only the ".apk" apps), I have found Apkpure to be a wonderful alternative to the Google PlayStore!.
But to install an .apk you must allow "install from unknown sources" on your phone.

The 'extra' files, as you call them, in an xapk file, are not 'extra files'.

They are part of the app, which would be too large (per Google Play Store criteria) if included within the apk file itself.

In fact, many apps from the Google Play Store are actually xapk files.

At least ApkPure tells you this.

ApkPure also has a great xapk app installer (as a separate app), and the UpToDown app has one built into it as well.

Many apks that you download actually download what you refer to as 'extra files' as soon as you install and open the app.

The xapk file saves time and data by allowing this to all be compressed and done at one time.

Upvote 0

ApkPure also has a great xapk app installer (as a separate app), and the UpToDown app has one built into it as well.
Your details on the .xapk files are interesting.
I have tried to install some of these in the past, but my phone only installs .apk files natively, and the Apkpure xapk installer didn't work for me.
Btw, as they are both free, how does the UpToDown store relate to Apkpure?

Upvote 0
UpToDown is the number two appstore on Earth.

I believe that ApkPure is number three.

That is going by size.

I love UpToDown, but ApkPure has a few apps that are not on UpToDown, and visa-versa.

The apps for these appstores are small enough for even the most limited modern devices to have both installed at the same time.

Going back to you issue with the xapk installer from ApkPure, that is another reason to use the appstore app rather than the website.

The apps from both app store apps will take your individual device into account and insure that you get the right version of apps for your device.

ApkPure especially has multiple versions of the same apps, and these are not usually compatible with each other or the wrong device.
In order to get the right version yourself, you must find and know the arm version of the device, then search the appstore website for the matching arm for your device- and do this for each app you download.

It is much easier and faster to just use the ApkPure app.

Get that, and use it to download the xapk installer, the one actually from ApkPure.
When you install an app from the ApkPure appstore, it will automatically use the xapk installer.
You can also use it for other xapks and apks, even those from elsewhere.

UpToDown has its own xapk installer built right into the appstore app, so you won't even notice it.

Upvote 0
ApkPure especially has multiple versions of the same apps, and these are not usually compatible with each other or the wrong device.
In order to get the right version yourself, you must find and know the arm version of the device, then search the appstore website for the matching arm for your device- and do this for each app you download.
Thanks for the post. Please detail what you mean by "the arm version of the device"?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the post. Please detail what you mean by "the arm version of the device"?

ARM processors come in different flavours, like 32-bit, 64-bit, ARM7, ARM9, etc. But if you use the APKpure app, it will download and install the correct app versions for your phone, tablet, TV-box etc.
https://apkpure.com/apkpure-app.html

I often use APKpure myself, as well as APKmirror and F-Droid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones