• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can you trust some of the Android applications?

AndroidSPCS

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
USA
I downloaded and installed NewsRob to use as my RSS reader.

As I started it up and went to configure it, I stopped cold at the username / password screen. The app is asking for my Gmail username / password screen.

How can I trust that applications like this which are not from Google itself, won't store my gmail username / password for malicious purposes? Even if they don't intentionally do so, how can I be sure my username / password may not be inadvertently hacked by some 3rd party for malicious purposes?

Does anyone here have any insight on how we can trust 3rd party apps with our private information data? Do these apps not store usernames / passwords? How can this be verified?

Here's an article that articulates this better than me: http://www.androidguys.com/2009/10/04/5-nice-apps-i-refuse-to-use/

I'd love to hear how we can get over our fear of giving our private info out to 3rd party apps.

I never trust a third party with my account info. Your concerns are reasonable, and don't let anyone who shares their account info willy-nilly tell you any different.

I read the article and the comments, and some of the commenters actually seem offended that someone would raise such an issue. Comments like that only serve to make me more leery of these apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones