• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How change "Primary" number for a contact?

atakin77

Apr 8, 2010
I have a quick question about editing a contact that I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with. When looking at a contact, you will notice that one phone number (and one email address) is marked as "Primary". When calling without directly using contacts - just the list that pops up as you are typing the number or name - the phone call will be made to the number that is marked as "primary" instead of giving a choice. How do you change the "Primary" number for a contact? So far, the only way I have found to do it is to delete all numbers except for the one I want as the primary, and then add the rest after. Is there a way in editing the contact to just make this change without deleting the numbers and adding them back?

How do I remove the primary designation entirely. The default is not have a primary number specified. I'd like to return some of my desktop contact shortcuts to prompt me for a number to call instead of dialing the default automatically. I now want it to ask me "home", "mobile" etc.

Thanks,
John

found the following on the google code site and it worked like a charm. Kind of obvious. Wish I thought of it.

If you would like no default number, follow rg94941 instructions above but first add a new number (to be deleted). Edit contact, add new number, enter any number (to be deleted), set default to this new number (see rg94941), then delete the new number. The shortcut will revert back to the multiple number option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones