• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How come I can't install Google Earth?

Yup - Google apparently withdrew the apk from the Market a while back. It works great though.

Here, have an .apk: http://sites.google.com/site/droidlife10/home/google_earth.apk

I downloaded the .apk, via the link above, directly on my phone.
It downloaded fine & installed fine.
When I try and open it however, I receive the following message:

Alert!
Can't write to data directory,
maybe run out of disk space
Quit

I have pulled my battery to restart and get the same exact message when I'm back up and running.
Currently I have:
SD card = 11.99GB available
Phone storage = 6.46GB available
Phone memory = 615MB available
So I should still have plenty of space . . . .

Anyone else having this issue?

Upvote 0
I didn't have this problem. I downloaded it. After I got the successful alert, I went to Astro (file manager), sdcard, download folder, clicked on Google Earth, hit install. Got another successful alert and opened the application with no problem. Turned on location so "big brother" could follow me. ;)

Thanks, using Astro made it work.
Originally, I ran the apk from the browser downloads screen and although it looked like it installed fine, I guess it didn't.
I uninstalled the app, opened Astro, Searched for "earth", ran it from there and now it works perfectly . . . . .

My only disapointment is that it doesn't have the multi-touch/rotate feature like it did on my Moto Droid :(

Upvote 0
I've been using Google Earth for a few days now and it crashes regularly. Not Force Close...it just closes and my phone ends up in the home screen. It happens with other apps (games mostly). Anyone else have that issue?
Same. I decided to uninstall it as I don't think I'd be using it that much anyways (especially if its causing problems)

Upvote 0
HI - Noob here. I've been trying to install Google Earth on an HTC Desire with no success, until I found a post wondering if some app was interfering with the install process. So as a starter, I uninstalled Google maps updates thinking it is a similar process - and it installed succesfully with no problems other than I'm now short of memory space. Try it....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones