1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root How could I brick this phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by redwingfaninnc, Jul 14, 2011.

1. redwingfaninnc

None
    Can someone please explain the most common ways to brick the DX2? How does having an sbf file mitigate these risks. Other than hardware damage, which type of problems can occur to make the phone completely unusable and unfixable?

As you can probably guess I'm relatively new to android, so something more than one word answers would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. ABRMess006

ABRMess006 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 30, 2010
    Londonderry, NH
    I don't understand your motives here or why you are looking for the most common way to brick the X2. So far I don't think I have noticed that anyone has actually bricked the phone yet. If there is a brick however, there is an SBF available for this phone although it is system files only so it will not clear all of you personal data.

3. redwingfaninnc

None
    I guess the question does seem a little shady. The reason I asked is because I bricked my last phone while unrooting it. So before I consider rooting it, I want to know what I'm getting into.

How does the sbf file work. Can it fix a phone that gets stuck in a bootlopp with usb debugging NOT enabled?

4. ABRMess006

ABRMess006 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 30, 2010
    Londonderry, NH
    Oh ok, that makes more since, I am not extremely knowledgeable with rooting so if I am wrong in any of this, someone please correct me, basically, an SBF (system boot files) will write over existing boot files to correct any damage that has been done, kind of like reinstalling windows. Usually you should be able to start up the phone in debug mode by holding a series of buttons, I forget at this time which ones they are. The files install through your PC though.

You will have to download the SBF and the motorola X2 drivers for your computer and install RSDlite. That program will be what recognizes your phone, flashes the SBF over to your phone and installs it.

At least with the droid x, I did not ever see once where someone actually bricked their phone, they were always able to get out of it using an SBF as a last resort, but it always seemed to work. Now if you do something extreme like loading the wrong rom or phone series into your phone so it changes baseband, and other major functions, I am sure you will brick it with no way out, so just make sure you do plenty of research before diving into anything.