1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How could I sync (not stream) music over 3G?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by knidsralright, Sep 4, 2011.

1. knidsralright

knidsralright Lurker

I want to be able to remotely sync music from the library on my home computer to my Android phone, sometimes over 3G if I'm not near a network with WiFi, and oddly enough, I can't seem to find an app or collections of apps that would make this possible.

So far, the app that comes the closest to doing what I want is the Google Music beta with it's ability to cache music for offline listening. The problem though is that music that you've marked for offline access is tucked away in a hidden app folder, stripped of its metadata and given a random string of numbers for a file name. Consequently, these songs can only be accessed by the dedicated Google Music app, and not any of the other nifty music apps on my droid.

Anyone have any ideas for how I could either remotely sync with my home library, or make the music cached by the Google Music beta identifiable to the rest of my phone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

I'm sorry this isnt much help but I encourage people to send Google feedback about how the way they treat music files by hiding them from the user.

They are your files, you should always be in control of them. Google even claims their own policy is to let users control their own data: the Data Liberation Front

You can send them feedback here:
    https://www.google.com/support/music/bin/request.py?contact_type=feedback

As for good apps to sync I'm not sure. It's clearly a need that is not quite fulfilled perfectly. I know many have tried though -- only one i can remember at the moment is doubleTwist though

3. joggy

joggy Well-Known Member

While not necessarily a syncing option, there are a couple apps that will allow for downloading your music over 3G.

Audiogalaxy allows for this with a paid addon.

Tonido will also allow for this.

knidsralright and alostpacket like this.
  4. knidsralright

knidsralright Lurker

Tonido looks pretty solid; I'm definitely going to check it out.

I was going to sort of 'roll my own' Tonido type app by setting up an FTP server on my home computer and finding an Android client app, but Tonido looks to have a nicer interface, and it's free, so why not give it a shot?

5. knidsralright

knidsralright Lurker

My guess would be that the (frustrating) way Google music handles local caching was a necessary concession to the music's rights holders to get them on board and allow Google Music to develop while not under the cloud of pending legal action.