1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How did you get stock ICS onto your i9100?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RCZombie, May 7, 2012.

1. RCZombie

RCZombie Newbie
    None

May 26, 2011
    Having grown used to SwiftDroid on my previous phone, and not being too fond of TouchWiz (as it feels way too cluttered for me), I would like to try something as close as stock ICS as possible, but with everything working as close to a an official TouchWiz ICS as possible. I am particularly interested in keeping the same level of performance regarding Wi-Fi, 3G and especially camera (which I understand got improved) as in Samsung's ICS update.

So, with that in mind and assuming that just doing the official update and sticking NOVA Launcher and ICS Browser+ is not that good an idea, I would like to ask you how you upgraded your phone to ICS and why.

Advertisement

2. Romulous

Romulous Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 1, 2012
    Male
    Retail Manager
    Ireland
    My SG2 shipped with Gingerbread which i was extrememly happy with, but ICS was available within a couple of weeks.

The upgrade was done via Kies, but i was more interested in rooting my phone so i could enjoy the benefits that are available to such a stunning phone.

Thankfully the folks on here are very tolerant of new users, and really helpful, which led me to install Checkrom Revo [gingerbread] then eventually onto AndyX ROM ICS which i have been running for about a week now.

I never really got into theming my phone using the apps available on the marketplace, or using widgets other than what was shipped with the phone. This was more to do with wanting to limit the amount of apps i had running in the background hogging resource and draining my battery, but flashing a new rom is very satisfying and opens so many other doors for you.

For me personally, AndyX ROM has been ultra stable, even moreso than Checkrom, and once JKay themes are available for AndyX, i dont think i will go back to anything else, at least for the forseable future.

This was upgraded via Kies, however, i love to mess with my tec

RCZombie likes this.
  3. RCZombie

RCZombie Newbie
    None

May 26, 2011
    How would you compare Wi-Fi, 3G and camera quality against the official ICS update?

4. Romulous

Romulous Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 1, 2012
    Male
    Retail Manager
    Ireland
    There has definately been an improvement in Wifi on my own home network Vs the Stock Samsung shipped software, however, i did root my phone fairly quickly, so it could have been down to lack of testing.

In terms of 3G quality, i live in a rural area where signal from any network is extremely poor so that is a bit of a moot point.

I have also tried numerous other modems which again have proved mediocre, which i am putting down to me living in the stix.

In respect to the Camera quality, ICS appears to function a lot quicker than it did when i was on GB, and i have yet to uppload anything to Photoshop to check for quality issues on the images themselves.

Incidentally, i have just flashed back to CheckRom Revo [Gingerbread 2.3.6] from AnyX last night as i was getting some major battery drain.

I also tried the new AndyX 1.0 today, but had way too many errors once flashed and no network signal whatsoever, so i want to do some reading on that tonight and try again as it is a great rom.

5. brezzo

brezzo Well-Known Member
    None

I would suggest CM9 for the SGS2. I've been using it as my day-to-day rom and it's amazing. There are other roms out there, but I find CM9 to be very reliable and close to the original android. It also now has native theming. I think the only things that don't fully work are the FM radio and something else but nothing I ever need to use.

I suggest you get root (however you like) and flash a few different roms and try them out for yourself. 3g quality, wifi, will vary depending on the modem you use as well as your specific device/setup/location. The camera quality I've noticed is quite similar across most custom ICS roms.