• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How did you get your Evo?

Have you gotten an Evo recently? If so, I want to hear your story as to how you got it. I waited outside of a Sprint store for a half hour before they opened today, because I had been told that they were going to receive Evo shipments on the 16th. I then waited another hour for the UPS truck to come. Then after an employee went into the back of the store to receive the shipment, I, along with about 4 or 5 other people waiting, were told that there were no Evo's in the shipment.

So, now I'm curious as to how people have been getting a hold of this impossible-to-obtain yet heavily advertised phone.

I got super duper lucky... went to sprint store, everybody is trying to get an evo. They are all being told to get a temporary phone n come back, or to wait for it to be mailed. So I was expecting the same for myself. As I was almost done signing the contract, an employee come up and says its your lucky day and hands me 2 evos. apparently someone was posed to come pick them up by 5. It was like 5:03. Lucky lucky lucky hahahaha

Upvote 0
Have you gotten an Evo recently? If so, I want to hear your story as to how you got it. I waited outside of a Sprint store for a half hour before they opened today, because I had been told that they were going to receive Evo shipments on the 16th. I then waited another hour for the UPS truck to come. Then after an employee went into the back of the store to receive the shipment, I, along with about 4 or 5 other people waiting, were told that there were no Evo's in the shipment.

So, now I'm curious as to how people have been getting a hold of this impossible-to-obtain yet heavily advertised phone.

wow...you were there a half hour early AND still waited an hour after?..im currently without a phone also waiting for an evo but damn..i would NEVER do that...its still just a phone. and i know some people dont have landlines or whatever but neither do i and im on a couple of waiting lists here and there and i call in from time to time but i would never stay there that long...just chill ull get it soon enough

Upvote 0
Went to Sprint store 1 week after launch (Saturday). They were sold out, and they added me to their wait list and told me they'd have more the following Wed.

On Wed, they called me to tell me the Evos were in. I drove down immediately and picked it up.

I guess I got lucky; mine doesn't have the light leakage/dust issue, nor the loose USB charging port. HW 0003 with a Nova panel.

Upvote 0
Funny thing... I jumped in the pool with my blackberry in pocket a few weeks ago and went to my local sprint store the next day. I had an upgrade coming so I said what ya got thats good??? They had an evo in stock (I had no idea how rare that was until this thread).
Hated it first few days. Could not get used to touch screen. They said I had 30 days to return it so I kept it a while longer. Now been about three weeks and I really like it. Powerful little machine. I really like the voice text and voice email and actually voice everything. I was watchiong HD uttube videos last night in bed after the wife fell asleep(G rated ones). Camera and camcorder are amazing. Battery power is an issue for me but getting better.

Upvote 0
Best Buy mobile, no BS mail in rebate. I pre-ordered mine the very first day they started taking pre-orders I was #6. They even called me a week out and set up an appointment. Best Buy is usually a rip off but if I do like buying phones there. Although it still took a while cause sprint servers were being slammed with activations but I was happy with the service. They weren't 2 thrilled that I didn't wanna buy there insurance plan or any accessories.

The guy also got kinda offended when I didn't want him to set up anything on the phone but whatever overall I am happy.

Upvote 0
As stated above, tell em' you are a new customer. I was just plain lucky. Went into Radio Shack and overheard the manager on the phone talking very softly to a customer saying they were going to get a truck in the day after tomorrow. The second he hung up, I confronted him and said I wanted an Evo, and I heard him tell the customer that they were getting some in. His shoulders sagged, and you could tell he was a bit irritated that I heard that. I think he was trying to save them for new customers. Sure enough, I came in that day, and there was my phone!

Upvote 0
I got mine at BestBuy... I would stop by two or three local best buys every couple days. After a couple weeks I wound up on cue with a shipment and walked out with my EVO. I was still about 2 weeks away from my 1yr upgrade... but the BB rep called Sprint and they approved an early upgrade for me. If you can find waiting list, get on every one you can. I recommend just stoping by your local best buys a few times a week... youll end up getting lucky before you know it.

Upvote 0
Got mine 2 weeks before it was released from craigslist. Bought my husband one from BB on 6/4 (Pre order before CL purchase), my sons 2 weeks after on iphone release day by calling BBs in the area and the store had 1 available..

My sister got one from the all the lists I was on in a mad search for my sons...I bought it and she paid me back. To this day I still get calls from different RS stores and asking if I am still looking for one.

Upvote 0
On launch day I returned at Best Buy a new Hero after 10 days of owning it, I hated that phone. I went back to my struggling yet loved Instinct. Went over to Sprint and checked out the Evo. They put my name on a list, i was number 78. I explained that my Instinct (original) was falling apart on me and that I was going out of town, all true, as he could clearly see it. The sales guy said, "I tell you what, if you come here tomorrow morning you might be able to get one that ships here in the AM."

So the next morning, I sat out front for 30 minutes before open (just in case someone else was going to, i wanted to be first). Mind you it's pouring buckets outside, thankfully I have a umbrella. Up walks two sales people. I explain my situation, one of the sales girls was very cute and said, "oh, yeah I put him on the list a few weeks ago." I didn't argue with her. The other guy said, we haven't received the shipment yet but since you were waiting out in the rain, I'll see what I can do for you. I went home and received a call 20 minutes later that the shipment arrived and a Evo was waiting for me. The rest is history.

Upvote 0
I bought my first two via EVP (Employee discount).

If I was doing it all over I would have just pre-ordered at Best buy.

I'm putting a 3rd Evo on my account and #3 is coming from Best Buy. We paid the $50 to hold our place in line (ironically #3 in line) and they'll call us when they have a phone to sell us.

No Rebate BS, no hassle.

Thank You Best Buy!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones