• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How did your EVO exchange/return go? Mine, not well!

getlooks

Jun 23, 2010
The short version is I tried to exchange, but Corp Store was out of EVO’s, said I cannot wait to exchange, and charged me $70 restocking fees!

Long version (only read on if you have nothing better to do) is my version 2 had leakage and rising of the bottom glass (btw, my husband’s v2 was flawless). Sprint escalated customer service said my phone was defective and to bring it to my Corp Store to exchange. The magical 30th day was yesterday while I was out of town on vacation.

- 6:00 pm Monday, my husband and 4 kids (all under 8) walked in the local Sprint store with all packaging, receipt…etc., two employees working.
- Lady tried to help with the exchange, but didn’t know how to perform exchanges in the computer. Told me I had to wait for Mgr. BTW – she was quite the cougar as we watched her hit on every young man coming in the store. The cougar and this Italian dude got to a point where they needed to get a room.
- Waited 20 mins for the Mgr to become avail. He said his store was out of EVO’s and had a 2-3 week wait list. He said he was unable to assist me and I needed to call Customer Service to do return. I explained that I just spoke to CS and they sent me to you, the Corp Store.
- I explained that I wanted an exchange, but he said he had no phone to exchange and when more phones come in, it would be beyond my 30-day exchange period and I was SOL after 30-days. He strongly encouraged that I call Sprint customer service again. I said I would, but asked if I could do it with him standing by. He said okay.
- I dialed Sprint and entered the option for escalated/priority customer service. Nice lady on call read my system notes and said that since my phone was defective, the Corp Store should put me on the wait list and not charge a restock fee since my intent is to exchange. She asked to speak to the store Mgr, but by this time he walked away and was jawing with a customer who was complaining about his EVO locking up after 10-12 consecutive calls. Phone rep said she would wait. 20 mins later, she was still holding and the store Mgr. continued to jaw about random topics, including the soon coming Epic phone.
- 7:30 pm, I finally interrupted jawing Mgr and handed him the phone to speak to Sprint customer service. They went back and forth for several minutes and Mgr handed phone back to me and walked away. Phone lady said she was so sorry and Corp store Mgr should work w/me, but there was nothing she could do. She offered that I pay $450 for a new phone and once it arrived, I could return my defective phone for a refund. No thanks.
- 8:00 pm, did I mention I was with my 4 kids?!!!
- Two hours later we were through with this place. I grabbed my husband’s perfectly fine EVO and told the Mgr I wanted to return both phones.
- He said he would, but it would be $70. I said fine, do it. Mgr started to process my return.
- Two new customers walked up to the main counter where Mgr was processing my return and sat beside me.
- Now, get this…Mgr said I don’t have a password on my account and asked for me to give him one. I asked what the password was for and he replied that it was for full access to my account to make changes…etc. He asked again for a password and said it was necessary to proceed. I asked myself, what good is this PW if these two customers sitting beside me are about to hear this? I made up a word and gave it to him. Note to self: change PW ASAP.
- Half way through my 5 min return process and without any acknowledgement to me, he asked one of the waiting customers how he could help and walked away for another 15 mins. Store lady was in back eating her dinner.
- Mgr came back and began assisting the other waiting customer. I was about to explode at this point.
- 9:30 pm, Mgr came back to me and charged my cc $70 and took back my phones.
- 9:45 pm, Mgr reactivated our old Sprint phones and I was outta there just before 10 pm.

During my vacation, 3 friggin’ hours and $70 for a 5 minute exchange/return!!!

***So, if you plan on exchanging your EVO on the last day, be sure the store has EVO’s in stock, otherwise you’re screwed with a return fee.

I’ve been a Sprint customer since 2002 and my contract is expired. I love the EVO, but have a crappy taste of Sprint CS in my mouth. What to do?

Well first off, call in to customer service and tell them about this whole thing that's gone on with this issue you guys have had. Second of all, I think it's awesome you actually followed through with returning the Evo's. I'm stuck with mine, and kind of annoyed by that.

What you SHOULD do, honestly, is just wait. The Epic SHOULD be a better phone, that is, if Samsung actually ends up caring about it. HTC has made the Evo from a dream phone into one of hallowed nightmares for the end users. The build quality is garbage, they're refusing to answer up to any problems that are in the phone, and only care about what's going to put money in their pockets. Honestly, if you really still want Android, wait for the Epic, and give that one a shot. I know Samsung isn't the best with keeping up on their devices, but this one SHOULD have a bit more support than the lowly Moment.

-edit-

Just to show them you REALLY don't give a rat's ass about Sprint at this point, drop your service all together, and wait for the Droid X. Or, at least, tell them you're going to do so.

Upvote 0
Lol yeah I think they took turns editing this.

I gotta tell you I feel your pain. While I have had zero issues with my evo, I have experienced the wrath of sprint corp store customer "service" in the past. Sounds like this guy was the same manager of the store on 54th st. /ray rd. in phoenix. It was so bad I don't even go to the corp stores anymore.

Upvote 0
unfortunately I have dealt also with some bad customer service at sprint stores.

but i've also dealt with bad customer service in many stores.

these kind of businesses have high turnover rates with employees, I wouldn't expect to encounter easy to deal with happy employees at sprint, verizon, at*t, t mobile or any of them.

just like i never expect a smile when I go mcdonalds:)

Upvote 0
Lol yeah I think they took turns editing this.

I gotta tell you I feel your pain. While I have had zero issues with my evo, I have experienced the wrath of sprint corp store customer "service" in the past. Sounds like this guy was the same manager of the store on 54th st. /ray rd. in phoenix. It was so bad I don't even go to the corp stores anymore.

Hah...you're correct. I fixed it. Sorry :)

Upvote 0
unfortunately I have dealt also with some bad customer service at sprint stores.

but i've also dealt with bad customer service in many stores.

these kind of businesses have high turnover rates with employees, I wouldn't expect to encounter easy to deal with happy employees at sprint, verizon, at*t, t mobile or any of them.

just like i never expect a smile when I go mcdonalds:)

Yeah, there's bad CS no matter where you go. Sprint CS has always been good in the past, but this one really screwed me. I just don't want to see someone else here try to do an exchange at the last hour and get stuck like me if no EVO's are in stock.

Upvote 0
I walked into Best Buy.

Me: I want to exchange my Evo. It's been randomly rebooting and the screen is slightly seperating at the bottom.

Lady: I'm sorry, we have none in stock. But let me go tell my GM about the situation.

5 minutes go by...

Lady: We're holding one for someone else, but we'll go ahead and take care of you.

Took her about 5 minutes to put everything into the system (she was training someone)....

Hello, flawless Evo :D :) :cool:

Upvote 0
If I understand sprints history correct, they started distributing phones through radio shack. Its where I bought my samsung 8500 back in 2000. They had no corporate stores. Its getting very apparent that there foray into their own distribution has turned into disaster a most people are having better luck with rs & bb. Could be a huge reason for the massive customer loss over the last several years.

Upvote 0
These have a one year warranty. Just go tell them that it's broken and needs to be fixed. Show them what the issues are. They will give it to the techs, and they will either fix or replace it. If they have no replacements then will take your number and call you when the replacement arrives. (Don't go in there asking to exchange phones.)

Upvote 0
I just returned mine earlier today. It took just a few minutes.

Just make sure that you tell them that something is wrong with it, then you don't have to pay the $35 restocking fee(bottom of my screen was popping way up, an entire line of light).

They even took back the rubber case(not what I expected), but I got stuck with the screen protectors...which is fine.

Upvote 0
The best exchange for me was the final one, when I exchanged a worthless brick for $217 bucks cash money!

No seriously, I did two exchanges for actual brand new EVOs with Best Buy before being forced to return the brick. Say what you will about BB, but they are very easy to deal with when it comes to returning stuff, assuming you are within 30 days or have their insurance. Good luck finding another retailer that will take literally one glance at your device and say "yeah, it's broke." Then literally hand you a brand new one.

The problem for me is that I bricked last EVO the day of the infamous update, and to this exact second, there are none available anywhere! I know because I just checked. I couldn't sit around and wait forever for another one. Enough was enough.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones