• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How did your upgrade go?

How did your upgrade go?

• Perfect, Stock phone

Votes: 96 52.5%
  • Perfect, rooted phone

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • Perfect, custom rom

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Minor problems, stock

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • Minor problems, rooted

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Minor problems, custom rom

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Major problems, stock

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • Major problems, rooted

• Major problems, custom rom

• Total voters
No luck at all. I can only hope for an OTA version of this

IIRC, you can take it into AT&T to have it upgraded at no charge.

Kies Mini didn't work on Win7 Home Premium SP1 64bit, still force closes. It did work fine on my 32 bit Win7 Professional SP1 though. I'm happy with it so far, just checking out all the extra features at this point.

However, does anyone know how to make LauncherPro Plus the default? I see no option in Home Switcher to "set as default" like I did in the Eclair version.

Upvote 0
My phone was stock, rooted, had all att apps removed, sideloading enabled, the works....and the update to froyo just killed the whole phone. kept getting force close on apps that won't go away...couldn't use the phone in any shape.

cleared my user settings, and the phone is back up, but I pretty much lost all the modifications, my settings, contacts, the whole nine yards. i backed up my previous rom with rom manager, but i have no idea how to go back now. i'd love to see if there's a way to patch things up to have the upgrade go peacefully.

now, the stupid phone is just as good as the day that at&t gave it to me. freaking frustrating.

Upvote 0
well i didnt have a issue with the GPS haven a 1012 build. but it does seem to pick up towers faster than before. here in ohio right now we are haven some hellatious storms, turned on gps test and 7 towers poped up right off the bat. 6 in view.

i am loven 2.2 utube now works with no issues. the flash is great. kinda dissapointed some of the facebook games dont work, not cause of flash just no apps for them..lol but other games work fine. gotta learn the 2.2 system now. a big change from 2.1 i think. good thing ive only had mine for 6 weeks so it wont take long to get use to 2.2

Upvote 0
I updated my wife's Captivate. I'm running Serendipity 5.11 custom ROM on my Cappy - I won't go back to stock - I'm happy as a clam.

Her phone - Stock Eclair phone, unrooted, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit machine, Kies Mini. Took about 14 minutes start to finish. Didn't lose anything. Market recognized all her downloaded apps. It's faster, but nowhere near as fast as my Cappy on Serendipity.

Now that the experiment is over, I will put Serendipity on her phone tomorrow.

ATT Froyo is a major improvement over Eclair, but it can't hold a candle to Serendipity.

Mike

Upvote 0
What did work was to plug the phone in first, select Kies Update mode on the phone, and then start Kies Mini last. Starting Kies first and then plugging in the phone did not work for me.

That was key for me. And had to have very little else running. Win 7, 32b, stock Cappy. Took maybe 10 min start-to-finish. Had to replace some apps on Home, but nothing was lost.

Already noticed 1. WiFi does not drop as before (it stays connected and usable now), 2. GPS works even better - post Nov phone and never had the problems, 3. Watched the Shuttle Launch on live TV via WiFi, 4. SWYPE is better/faster, 5. Battery "seems" better, but a couple of days will tell.

PJ :)

Upvote 0
I was running a custom rom, but thought I'd give stock a try. Flashed back to stock with Odin, and then upgraded with Kies Mini without a problem (although it did take forever). Rooted using SuperOneClickRoot 1.7. I only had two minor issues, one caused by Laucher Pro, and the other is ESPN Radio not showing up in the market (but I had a TiBu Backup, so no problem).

Upvote 0
What did work was to plug the phone in first, select Kies Update mode on the phone, and then start Kies Mini last. Starting Kies first and then plugging in the phone did not work for me.

For what it's worth, this is the method outlined in the Captivate FAQ for using Kies Mini even before the 2.2 update was released. ;)

Kies Mini - CapFAQ

Upvote 0
Even though Im about to sell the Captivate, I wanted to see what the differences were. I had a custom rom to start with. I flashed to JH6 with odin, then opened kies. It said there was an upgrade (froyo). I let it do its thing and was all set. It took around 45 minutes to an hour for everything. I found an universal 1 click root, tried it, and the Captivate now has rooted froyo.

Upvote 0
Stock, not rooted. Probably not considered major for many, but after waiting so long, you expected it to be a very well planned, simple task. The first thing I read was to uninstall any old versions of Kies. Was not listed in Add/Remove Programs in XP Pro, and when I finally found the directory there WAS a Remove Program Icon, but it did nothing. Never saw any explanation after searching for hours that running Kies would update the program automatically without uninstalling as instructed. Next, appeared that all drivers installed while following the instructions, but received a fatal error message stating: "Cannot install this hardware: Samsung Android Composit ADB Interface. A fatal error occured during the installation ". More searching and agonizing. Finally, just went into My Devices, located Samsung USB Driver and manually updated, allowing it to search the web, downloaded and installed and 2.2 upgrade then worked. Thought my Captivate was not going to boot back up, but finally did. Much relieved and was excited to start watching videos on ESPN, but still can't. More reading and agonizing coming up. Very disappointed in AT&T (for knowing nothing), Samsung for extreme public disregard in this matter. Could not locate my registration and log-in info at Samsung, attempted to re-register, then it found me because my info was already being used. Imagine that.

Upvote 0
Stock phone, very minor issue. For some strange reason, my phone decided to send a meeting update for every cancelled meeting in my Exchange calendar. Even the ones that weren't mine. Strange, very strange...

Otherwise, everything went smooth.
Hehe same here! Sent out like 80 or so meeting cancellations (not mine) via exchange. Co-worker had same issue with Vibrant upgrade to 2.2. Had to remove the exchange account on my phone and re-added it back to stop the flood.

They all want me to buy lunches for them now for launching this denial of service attack. :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones