1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root How do Android updates work?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by morejaylesswar, May 8, 2011.

1. morejaylesswar

None

Mar 12, 2011
    I've been googling (as well as searching Android Forums, XDA, Android Central, and Atrix Forums) and I've gotten a bunch of grey answers. That's to be expected with me, though. There always seem to be six or seven different answers when it's Android related.

My question is: How do updates work?

Are they sent out by what city you live in? How long you've had your phone? What? I'm not getting the update for 4.1.83. I've had my Atrix for three weeks. It's been active on AT&T for a week today. After powering on my Atrix for the first time and connecting to Wifi, I received the 4.1.57 update.

Now, this is my first Android phone. I rooted it about a week and a half ago (before it was active on AT&T) and I'm running on GingerBlur 3.0. Does rooting stop updates? And does that stop "4G" as well? I work at Wireless Advocates (the phone Kiosk inside of Costco) and our display Atrix has received the update and it's always had the H+ symbol. Mine doesn't get H+ even when standing right next to the damned thing. LOL.

From reading, I hear the update has made the Atrix faster and everything else.

Did I ruin my chances to get the update?

Advertisement

2. UserName872

UserName872 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Network Administrator
    Philadelphia, PA
    Updates can kill your root. Best bet is don't update. most of the updates enable functions you already have by being rooted and running custom ROMs.