• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I add a printer to my phone?

Richard48

Lurker
Dec 3, 2013
Hi...I have an HTC Aria. I want to print to a wireless printer at work that's on a network. How do I add the printer to my phone? I tried opening an email and hitting add printer but it keeps saying it can't find the printer. I know the IP address I was given for this printer is correct but I can't add it to my phone....why?

Reactions: scacey
That depends on the IT department. The easiest way to connect to a printer with an Android device is with a cloud printer app, but the printer has to be set up on the cloud - and that's their call. If they're willing to (it takes about 2 minutes - maybe another minute if you're on a virtual network and the network admin knows what he's doing), I'd suggest Cloud Print by Paulo Fernandez http://androidforums.com/introductions/803192-how-do-i-add-printer-my-phone.html It's easy to set up and use (and it's free). I got it working on an off-brand printer first shot in about a minute.

If they don't want to open the printer to the world you're going to have to find a printer app that works when printing to your kind of printer (the printer driver for that model printer has to be included in the app) and that could take days (or weeks) of trial and error. (Or it could take hiring an Android programmer to write the app and driver.)

So it depends on how paranoid your IT department is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones