1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do I block calls from private numbers?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RhinoCan, Oct 4, 2020.

1. RhinoCan

RhinoCan Well-Known Member

I've been awaken by calls from private numbers well before I normally get up for the last two mornings and I find that I can't get back to sleep after that. I don't know if both calls were from the same person or two different people that coincidentally called at almost the exact same moment but it needs to stop so I can get a reasonable amount of sleep.

How do I block these calls? I'm running Android 8.0 which seems to be the newest version of Android available on this phone since I haven't been able to update the OS for a couple of years now. I've googled but that brings up options which my phone doesn't have.

I've also tried using *57 to find out who made the calls and also *77 but neither code worked with my provider.

I can see both calls in my Recents but I can't find any option to block them in Android. I'm hoping someone has a solution for me because my sleep is precious to me.

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

MrJavi likes this.
  3. RhinoCan

RhinoCan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion but now that I started installing it, I do NOT like where this is going. Giving some third party company I don't know access to my phone and phone calls is NOT something I want to do.

#3 RhinoCan, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  4. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

MrJavi likes this.
  5. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

I'm not sure about the Samsung Galaxy A5 but no my Samsung Ganaxy Note 4, from the stock dialer, I tap the three dot icon on the left and choose settings,

Screenshot_2020-10-05-00-35-53.png

call,

Screenshot_2020-10-05-00-36-12.png

call rejection,

Screenshot_2020-10-05-00-36-26.png

auto reject list,

Screenshot_2020-10-05-00-36-32.png

and choose unknown. Also from call log, log press and tap three dot icon and add to call rejection.

Maybe it's similar with your Sammy. :)

6. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

If the calls are coming from the same numbers, you can block them right from your call log.

Long press the call in question while in the log, and a menu offering to block the call should appear.

Of course, that is just how my device works.
    Not to mention that calls like this often come from an endless stream of invalid numbers, so blocking them one by one is fruitless.

Try BlackList Blocker.
    Yes, you will need to allow the app access.

The plus side is that it is not affiliated with Google, is totally FOSS, and has no use for your information.

This app has been the only way to msintain my sanity with the amount of crap calls that I would otherwise get.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.kaliturin.blacklist/

My phone is 8.1.0, so I know that it should work on your device as well.

7. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

I believe@RhinoCan doesn't want to use third party apps :(

Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) Forum

The Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) release date was January 2017. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Exynos 7880 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

January 2017
Release Date
Reviews