• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I change the program associated with the default soft button?

droiduzr2

Android Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2010
How do I change the program associated with the default soft button?
I would like to change the sms soft button to launch handcent instead of the default sms app.

No, going into settings,applications...does not do it.

To be clear, when I click on the soft button with the sms icon I want it to launch handcent.

thx

How do I change the program associated with the default soft button?
I would like to change the sms soft button to launch handcent instead of the default sms app.

No, going into settings,applications...does not do it.

To be clear, when I click on the soft button with the sms icon I want it to launch handcent.

thx

The only things I can find on that are ROMs which address that, and a few apps that allow for soft key use in waking or putting the device to sleep.

Knowing your device could help in a ROM search, if you're rooted or are willing to root.

Perhaps others will chime in.

Upvote 0
I would just like to edit the file that links the app with the sms default icon. I am guessing it's like windows where you have the icon but can change the path of the file that will run the .exe to open that file type.
I want the stock SMS icon to open Handcent when I click the stock sms icon.

Upvote 0
I still think this thread should be moved back to LG.

BECAUSE THIS QUESTION ISN'T GENERIC AT ALL!

Different android phones have different launcher. HTC uses Sense. Samsung uses Touchwiz. The same goes for LG.

LauncherPro allows you to set custom Icon for each app, but I doubt you can do the same with any stock launcher. The only other way would be to extract the apk file from data/app and modify the icon file (which can be found in /res/drawable). But then you will have to resign the package afterwards, and I am not sure if the entire process is legal or not.

Reactions: woop
Upvote 0
I still think this thread should be moved back to LG.

BECAUSE THIS QUESTION ISN'T GENERIC AT ALL!

Different android phones have different launcher. HTC uses Sense. Samsung uses Touchwiz. The same goes for LG.

LauncherPro allows you to set custom Icon for each app, but I doubt you can do the same with any stock launcher. The only other way would be to extract the apk file from data/app and modify the icon file (which can be found in /res/drawable). But then you will have to resign the package afterwards, and I am not sure if the entire process is legal or not.
I'm going to have to agree. OP, if you post what other HTC phone you have, I can copy it into there as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones