• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I connect to cafe wifi?

panque

Dec 11, 2011
So I just got an X8 and am happy with it. However, I can't connect to cafe wifi, you know the ones where the connection is unprotected, but after connecting you have to log in through the browser.

The default browser always wants to connect via 3G and I can't force it to use wifi so it's useless. I tried with Opera and Dolphin and none of them seem to do the trick, am I missing something?

Thanks for the help :)

So I just got an X8 and am happy with it. However, I can't connect to cafe wifi, you know the ones where the connection is unprotected, but after connecting you have to log in through the browser.

The default browser always wants to connect via 3G and I can't force it to use wifi so it's useless. I tried with Opera and Dolphin and none of them seem to do the trick, am I missing something?

Thanks for the help :)

Hello Panque.

Maybe you're doing it backward. :D By that I mean, if you bring up the browser before establishing the wifi connection, the browser will often look for its native network connection.

Also, it's a good idea to clear cache and data on all browsers then reboot just prior to using a public wifi connection.

So, before touching the browser icon, go into wifi settings and turn wifi on, then follow the prompts to the wifi network the device has detected. Once the connection is established, open your browser.

Reactions: panque
Upvote 0
Hello Panque.

Maybe you're doing it backward. :D By that I mean, if you bring up the browser before establishing the wifi connection, the browser will often look for its native network connection.

Also, it's a good idea to clear cache and data on all browsers then reboot just prior to using a public wifi connection.

So, before touching the browser icon, go into wifi settings and turn wifi on, then follow the prompts to the wifi network the device has detected. Once the connection is established, open your browser.
Hi, thanks for the help.

Wifi is on, 3G is off, then I manually connect to a network, gets an IP, everything right so far.

Then I open a browser and a page comes up asking for login and password, which I enter, but when I click on submit nothing happens, so I never get authenticated and can't get internet access.

This happens with Opera and Dolphin because with default browser I get connection errors if 3G is disabled.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for the help.

Wifi is on, 3G is off, then I manually connect to a network, gets an IP, everything right so far.

Then I open a browser and a page comes up asking for login and password, which I enter, but when I click on submit nothing happens, so I never get authenticated and can't get internet access.

This happens with Opera and Dolphin because with default browser I get connection errors if 3G is disabled.

In wifi settings, do you have the box checked for "open network?"

Upvote 0
The "notify me when an open network is available" one? it's not checked.

I keep that checked as a part of my wifi settings in both of my Android devices.

I never turn off the 3G data/network connection when using wifi, and I've never seen my browser try to find 3G and not connect to wifi once I've turned wifi on.

I'm thinking that something simple is causing your issue because the browsers are both detecting the wifi network, otherwise they would not be asking for you to provide the password. That's why I'd start by clearing cache and data on everything related to the issue: browsers and everything, then reboot.

I was also wondering if you're experiencing this same issue no matter the wifi network, or is it only at the one location.

Upvote 0
I keep that checked as a part of my wifi settings in both of my Android devices.

I never turn off the 3G data/network connection when using wifi, and I've never seen my browser try to find 3G and not connect to wifi once I've turned wifi on.

I'm thinking that something simple is causing your issue because the browsers are both detecting the wifi network, otherwise they would not be asking for you to provide the password. That's why I'd start by clearing cache and data on everything related to the issue: browsers and everything, then reboot.

I was also wondering if you're experiencing this same issue no matter the wifi network, or is it only at the one location.

I'm only having this issue with public wifi networks that require you to login from a web browser. My home connection and others are fine.

I suspect my carrier locked the default browser to use only 3G data to force people to pay extra, I can't find a setting to change this.

I'll try changing the setting you suggested, as well as clearing the cache and rebooting when I need to use a public wifi again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones