• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I DE-BLOAT?

sugarspunz

Nov 15, 2010
Just got an S6 with T-mobile and am very happy so far.

HOWEVER!!!

how to get rid of all BS on this phone? There are a ton of apps that I just dont want.

Ideally I am looking for a way to delete the apps I dont want and the knowledge of what is and isnt safe to delete if that exists.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Things that are installed to the /system partition (i.e. all pre-installed apps for most phones) can only be uninstalled if you have rooted the phone. However, since they live in a different partition from your apps you don't gain any space by deleting them. So if you clear data for them (since their data do share space with your apps) and then disable them the practical effect is the same as uninstalling them.

If someone (Samsung or the carrier) has decided that a particular app cannot be disabled then you need to root to get rid of it.

As for which apps can be safely removed, the list of pre-installed apps is rather long, and will vary with carrier, so I doubt anyone will produce a comprehensive list. Any that allow you to disable them can be safely disabled (or removed). For others it might be better to ask whether the specific apps you want to remove (if you go that way) are safe.

Upvote 0
I will hope someone smarter than I and willing to take a few minutes to list the apps OK to disable will eventually happen (as on previous forums/phones). In the meantime... can someone advise me if the following are OK to disable (I've already made one pass... but was unsure about these)? Many thanks!

the ANT series (DUT, HAL Service, Radio Service, + Pluggins Service)
BBC Agent
BeaconManager
Briefing
CarmodeStub
DT Ignite
ELM Agent
EpdgTestApp
Galaxy Apps Widget
Galaxy TalkBack
Gear VR Service
Gear VR SetupWizardStub
Google Play Services
iHeartRadio
IMS Settings
My InfoZone
My Interests
PageBuddyNotiSvc
Quick connect
SapaMonitor
Slow motion
SVF
Trim
withTV

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
WOW thank you so much for the information.

Few more questions....

1) is there a way to root our phones yet? I have not been on this forum in a while and I dont see the "everything root" section anymore.
2) when you load an app from the play store you agree to the access the app has to your phone. For apps like facebook and facebook messenger this is extremely intrusive. Facebook and facebook messenger cannot be uninstalled so by disabling these two apps do they still have the ability to capture all of my information or are they essentially dead after disabling?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones