• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I decide between Galaxy-s and N900 !

augustya

Sep 19, 2010
Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a High End phone. Though my Basic requirement is mostly Emailing, IM and Web Browsing. My prime concern is whenever I visit a website the viewing has to be clear and comfortably big. So I am looking out for a phone with a decent screen. Now I have shortlisted two phones the Nokia N900 and the Samsung Galaxy S-i9000.

I know that the SGS comes with an Amoled Screen, which supports 16 Million colors but frankly speaking a lot of people have been saying this to me besides the big, vibrant screen the SGS offers there is nothing special about it. Still running Android 2.1. Ok Offers Multi-touch screen, Pinch to Zoom ease and all. But frankly it cannot be the only deciding factor atleast not for me. Android Apps have reached to a staggering number but while everyone is happy about the numbers a lot remains to be desired on how much of those Apps are really useful. Though Multi-Tasking is also there on the SGS, the quality and the experience is Horrible is what I have heard from initial feedback, it keeps killing most of the apps in the background when you run a website on it.

On the Other hand N900 which supports full desktop browsing. Out of the world Multi-Tasking, though appears old in front of the SGS is a very powerful contender against the SGS. MAEMO-5 soon expected to get a 3 update which will perhaps bring Flash 10.1 will virtually make it invincible. But my worry is after looking at these Amoled screens practically everything in the world which is not Amoled looks very Dull, same is the case with the N900. Any punch line or a convincing piece of information that you guys have to offer which will help me decide between these two phones.

I used to own an N900, so I'll chime in.

The GS screen trumps the N900, as you're aware.

It also has a better CPU, GPU (and actually has games to take advantage of it), and DSP (the sound processor gives perfect sound output, so if you like music at all and have a decent ear you'll really appreciate this bonus over the N900, in fact the N900s SQ is far enough beneath the GS that you won't even need a very good ear to hear it).

Unless you really feel you must have a hardware/QWERTY keyboard then the GS form factor with its slimness is a real bonus over the N900.

The GS has better quality video capture (with the possible exception of in low light, where the N900 will also do better because of its led flash).

The GS will get 2.2 very soon (and unofficially can have it now), so Flash 10.1 does not really differentiate the browsing experience on these handsets. That being the case, the larger S-AMOLED screen and capacitive multitouch of the GS will differentiate the experience, in favor of the GS.

I multitasked on my old Symbian handsets and don't find I have problems with the GS either, not sure about the problems in multitasking you're talking about (the app Power Strip helps out in the GS in terms of improving that experience).

If basic telephony is at all important to you then you'll want to avoid the N900, which was really quite underdone in that regard (no doubt their smallish dev community has addressed some of those shortcomings since I used it, no idea what the current state of play is with regard to that side of the N900).

Anyways, I don't think this needs much thinking about, can't see any reason at all for the N900 to be your choice besides a hard and fast requirement for a hardware keyboard, which you appear not to have.

Upvote 0
I know that the SGS comes with an Amoled Screen, which supports 16 Million colors but frankly speaking a lot of people have been saying this to me besides the big, vibrant screen the SGS offers there is nothing special

Then I advice you don't listen to them anymore because they clearly don't know they're talking about.

The Super Amoled screen on the SGS easily produces the best picture quality and is in another league, plus it's great in daylight.

On the Other hand N900 which supports full desktop browsing. Out of the world Multi-Tasking, though appears old in front of the SGS is a very powerful contender against the SGS. MAEMO-5 soon expected to get a 3 update which will perhaps bring Flash 10.1 will virtually make it invincible

What makes you think the SGS doesnt have full desktop browsing? :thinking:

Also flash 10.1 is coming to SGS this month with release of 2.2, I've not had a problem with multitasking. Seriously where are you getting this information?

Upvote 0
Unless you really feel you must have a hardware/QWERTY keyboard then the GS form factor with its slimness is a real bonus over the N900.

I dont know but I am actually looking out for a physical (Qwerty) Key board. It makes typing a lot easier and faster is what I have been said and made to believe though my personal experience is kind of mixed, so frankly I cant comment coz I have not extensively been only on Phyisical or Virtual. BUt I have seen people type incredibly fast on even touchscreen phones but letter accuracy is also a problem with only virtual keypads...So I dont know but the tilt is towards having a Physical Qwerty Keybpad.

The GS has better quality video capture (with the possible exception of in low light, where the N900 will also do better because of its led flash).

I would imagine I would require a Flash to take still picture rather then having a feature to shoot a video at HD quality, I would more often then not use my phone for still pictures then use it to shoot HD Videos I dont know what on earth made Samsung give it a HD video feature but not give it a Flash. Thats so criminal !

The GS will get 2.2 very soon (and unofficially can have it now), so Flash 10.1 does not really differentiate the browsing experience on these handsets. That being the case, the larger S-AMOLED screen and capacitive multitouch of the GS will differentiate the experience, in favor of the GS. The pictures do appear sharp on N900 but could not be all that bright.

Yes I did feel web browsing could be a little better on the SGS, But the area where the SGS trumps it keeps rendering WAP site pages for a lot of sites versus the full desktop webpages in the N900. It is for the .5 inch real estate and the Eye Dazzling brightness that the SGS scores over the N900 in this area.

I multitasked on my old Symbian handsets and don't find I have problems with the GS either, not sure about the problems in multitasking you're talking about (the app Power Strip helps out in the GS in terms of improving that experience).

There is this App on SGS which is Kill Apps which is used to end unwanted programs running on the background but rather then performing manually on the user's command it keeps killing Apps the moment one opens a website.

If basic telephony is at all important to you then you'll want to avoid the N900, which was really quite underdone in that regard (no doubt their smallish dev community has addressed some of those shortcomings since I used it, no idea what the current state of play is with regard to that side of the N900).

That is again something I cant decide when I started my search I was looking and I am still looking out for a phone which could be a very High end phone which could be a PC replacement can do almost everything as a Good Mobile PC besides performing like a phone...

Upvote 0
I wont wear glasses so typing on a small keyboard is difficult for me. Also as I dont do it that much im not that familiar with phone keyboards. Swype is like some sort of miracle to me. I just drag my finger to the area where i think the letters are and hey presto it types for me. Bloody amazing

Upvote 0
I have N900 and SGS, N900 like computer with phone function and SGS phone with computer function. N900 have many missing phone function like no MMS, no SIM toolkit and is too hard operate with one hand because almost all must be use landscape mode, but for browsing N900 really like computer browser, it can play youtube directly from browser not like SGS will play it on video player. N900 have a OVIMap no need to buy and you can use it without use any data plan, but no turn by turn navigation. But the main problem is Operating System, N900 use Maemo only some developer want to create application for Maemo. That why i choose SGS

Upvote 0
I dont know but I am actually looking out for a physical (Qwerty) Key board. It makes typing a lot easier and faster is what I have been said and made to believe though my personal experience is kind of mixed, so frankly I cant comment coz I have not extensively been only on Phyisical or Virtual. BUt I have seen people type incredibly fast on even touchscreen phones but letter accuracy is also a problem with only virtual keypads...So I dont know but the tilt is towards having a Physical Qwerty Keybpad.
With Swype you can type much faster than with a physical keyboard. Physical keyboards are a lot easier for punctuation and symbols, which as a spelling and grammar freak I regret, but as for overall word-input Swype is just beautiful. Physical keyboards can also feel really awkward. The only phone I ever used with a physical keyboard was the G1, and it felt weird to be pressing on the phone so hard, not to mention noisy. And you need a good grip + two thumbs to type with the physical keyboard. On my Galaxy S I can do it with one hand, one thumb/finger, and faster too.

Reactions: cleanermonkey
Upvote 0
I must agree with all the +1 for SGS.
I come from the N900 and NEVER thought I would say this... I actually really really like the Capasitive touch screen. I still like all the possibilities you have with resistive screens like drawing, and micro precision and that you have to "press" to select stuff. (on SGS i sometimes feel like I press stuff just by howering finger over a button) :-D

You can't beat the hard-Qwerty but with swype you come damn close 98-99/100! Hard-qwerty type almost without looking (ie you can easier look away and keep typing) but with swype you can be a slacker and skip corners and actually write the words u want f.ex in my country we use ALOT of double letters in words like kk mm and tt (etc.) and in swype you just have to hit them once and it recognices what word it is... it is really intuitive and fast learning.

One of the main reasons I left the N900 was lack of official support. No official MMS (have a community made one that works great, but still it shows how "important" the UI was to Nokia) no official support of Meego (new UI as Nokia "killed off Maemo) Still the Maemo community is great and has put out alot of great apps, but lack of official support is not for me.

IM in N900 is really great and almost build into UI with small icons in contacts to show if online etc. I Havn't really tried it on the SGS (only go!chat for Facebook and that worked great)

Web browsing on the N900 was sweet and multitasking is awsome and really easy (keyboard short cuts ctrl + back multitask screen to switch very fast between open programs) Web browsing on the SGS is quite nice aswell, bigger brighter screen makes it a very good experience all together and when flash 10.1 comes it will be awsome. Multitasking on SGS is done via apps... I use visual task switcher, which looks a bit like on the n900 and makes use on single press home button to easily switch between open/running apps (open browser, home, contacts, notes etc.)

I like the e-mailing on the SGS over the N900 (don't get me wrong the N900 got all the mails (and I could figure out how to set it only to retreive when on wifi something I can't seem to find on the SGS) but I couldn't see my folders on my Yahoo! plus account... I can on the SGS)

Upvote 0
I must agree with all the +1 for SGS.
I come from the N900 and NEVER thought I would say this... I actually really really like the Capasitive touch screen. I still like all the possibilities you have with resistive screens like drawing, and micro precision and that you have to "press" to select stuff. (on SGS i sometimes feel like I press stuff just by howering finger over a button) :-D

You can't beat the hard-Qwerty but with swype you come damn close 98-99/100! Hard-qwerty type almost without looking (ie you can easier look away and keep typing) but with swype you can be a slacker and skip corners and actually write the words u want f.ex in my country we use ALOT of double letters in words like kk mm and tt (etc.) and in swype you just have to hit them once and it recognices what word it is... it is really intuitive and fast learning.

One of the main reasons I left the N900 was lack of official support. No official MMS (have a community made one that works great, but still it shows how "important" the UI was to Nokia) no official support of Meego (new UI as Nokia "killed off Maemo) Still the Maemo community is great and has put out alot of great apps, but lack of official support is not for me.

IM in N900 is really great and almost build into UI with small icons in contacts to show if online etc. I Havn't really tried it on the SGS (only go!chat for Facebook and that worked great)

Web browsing on the N900 was sweet and multitasking is awsome and really easy (keyboard short cuts ctrl + back multitask screen to switch very fast between open programs) Web browsing on the SGS is quite nice aswell, bigger brighter screen makes it a very good experience all together and when flash 10.1 comes it will be awsome. Multitasking on SGS is done via apps... I use visual task switcher, which looks a bit like on the n900 and makes use on single press home button to easily switch between open/running apps (open browser, home, contacts, notes etc.)

I like the e-mailing on the SGS over the N900 (don't get me wrong the N900 got all the mails (and I could figure out how to set it only to retreive when on wifi something I can't seem to find on the SGS) but I couldn't see my folders on my Yahoo! plus account... I can on the SGS)

Hey,

since you have used both the N900 and the Samsung Galaxy-S, I guess you are just the right person to answer this. I am sure by now you would have also surfed a bit on your Samsung Galaxy-S, which one do you think has a better Internet surfing experience Galaxy or the N900 I am saying in terms of viewing and readability, interms of the entire experience of web browsing. Do you think the N900 is Far, Far too behind then the Galaxy? I mean does one feel the viewing on the N900 a little faded,Dull. Boring and not pleasant from a web browsing point. My basic purpose is Internet Surfing, Emailing (So the UI that the phone is using for Email or the Email client that the phone is using has to be very user friendly and easy) and IM. So in that sense also which one do you think is better? I know the Galaxy will be better in Multimedia and entertainment but from a Internet surfing experience, Push Email and IM which one do you think is more easy.

And how about watching a Movie or a Video on N900 again the Galaxy coz of the Amoled screen would be way...way...ahead than the N900 but how is the N900 in this department.

Thanks in Advance!

Upvote 0
Hi augustya
To begin with I must say I really enjoyed the websurfing experience on the N900. The combination of Hard-qwerty, flash and the way Maemo (n900 UI) handles multitasking is super easy to use. When you are surfing a page and say you see something you want to read more about you simply click and hold link and select open in new window. (you can also do that on the SGS I know but not in the same way) When you have several windows open switching between them is a breeze on the N900 simply click hqwerty's ctrl + backspace and you go to the multitasking page where all the open windows (and programs) are open in a very visual way (in fulltime) so videos are playing and flash is running etc. and switching between them is just pressing the one you want.
Image 1 here I have around 10 open pages. (photos does not do the screen justice) Open are the web page with all the bookmarks, gsmarena with all samsung, SGS and pictures of SGS, all Nokia, N900 and pictures of N900, 2 x Youtube vids with a comercial of each device and angry aliens "30 sec. bunnies" flash vid site and no lags or hangs. (With alot of Flash sites open, video playing and playing flash games it can be laggy ofc.)

All that said the experience on the SGS is a bit different. I only seem to be able to open 8 pages (but maybe that is enough (it wasn't for this example ;-P) for normal use) and jumping between them works in quite a different way too see image 2. (and the SGS opens in mobile pages at least for now) I think it will be alot better with android 2.2 and flash 10. Even though the SGS is not as easy to switch between pages as the n900 it is quite easy to use... even more so if you use the Dolphin HD browser available in market... here you get fans like on your desktop and the "gap" between the two is closed even more.
I think the SGS is a really nice phone to surf the web on (will be heaps better when it gets 2.2 and flash!) The pinch to zoom, fast rendering of pages, several pages open at once (upto 8) smooth (if not doing too much other stuff... Will prob change as well in 2.2) I really use my Phones to surf the web ALOT (have a 20GB "limit" on my contract) and I really like the SGS as a web-phone aswell (maybe not quite as much as the n900 but pretty close) The n900 one web problem was the horisontal vs. landscape as it was made for landscape the horisontal doesn't go well with the qwerty (obviously) and best surfing experience on the n900 meant having both hands (thumbs) free to use on qwerty... The SGS does it any which way and does it well. Especially with swype it is really easy to use. my only "problem" is that English is not my primary language, so swype can't always be used fast (for me) as I have to switch language to use it properly... luckily the swype keyboard in itself is very nice to just type on aswell so the "problem" is not that big and they have thought of it already so a long press on q brings up the language list.

Well how-to browse aside... how does it look!? well the n900 screen is actually quite nice on its own and I always enjoyed watching vid.clips and movies on the 3.5 inch screen and web pages looks very good too... here it comes BUT when compared to the SGS 4 inch SuperAmoled it does look a bit small and the colors a little bit faded. The SGS screen is simply stunning and the colors vibrant and watching movies the n900 could sometimes stutter a bit in the beginning (something to do with no buffering I think) something I havn't seen on the SGS. Viewing pages in terms of readability the bigger screen helps out but I think both does a good job and I never had any problems viewing pages in zoomed-far-out mode.

Email is something I don't use that much... well I do get and do send emails "daily" (sometimes every second day). But I think I prefer the SGS as I can have the push on if I want or go check for myself (even see my folders on the mail server) in the app... ofc. on the n900 it was just to go to yahoo mail in the web browser but still.

IM I really very seldom use but in the n900 it was very integrated in the UI but maybe it is in the SGS I just havn't had to look. Tried the Go!chat for facebook on the SGS and that was easy to use and worked quite well.

I know this might not have made your choice easier as I seem and still am very fond of the n90,0 but if I had to make the choice (and I allready did) I would go for the SGS as the n900 no longer is officially supported and you get more choices with apps, flash 10 etc. bigger and better looking screen with the SGS. (or maybe wait for the Meego... the new Nokia/intel UI and "successor" of Maemo) sorry had to mention it but I think it still has a long way to go :p

P.S If I failed to answer some of your questions or have raised new ones etc. just ask and I'll try to answer them.

In the meanwhile I'll send a couple of emails and try to set up some IM-thingy-magics to learn a bit more about that ;)

Reactions: augustya
Upvote 0
:thinking: what the...

Attachments

• 2010-09-21 20.45.08.jpg
    2010-09-21 20.45.08.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 20100921_003.jpg
    20100921_003.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 0
Hi Ok Offers Multi-touch screen, Pinch to Zoom ease and all. But frankly it cannot be the only deciding factor atleast not for me.

Pinch to Zoom is quite useful for browsing the web, which you've said is of great importance to you.

Though Multi-Tasking is also there on the SGS, the quality and the experience is Horrible is what I have heard from initial feedback, it keeps killing most of the apps in the background when you run a website on it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Never heard of or seen anything like that. I don't think you're going to have problems with that. If it ocurred at all, it must've been with an older firmware or something.

On the Other hand N900 which supports full desktop browsing.

Skyfire is free and also offers full desktop browsing experience. You can switch between desktop and mobile views easily.

Seriously, you can't beat the Android platform as far as browsing is concerned, because besides the stock option (and at least here in Brazil the Galaxy S comes with a very good stock browser) you have excellent alternatives such as Dolphin, Skyfire and Opera. So not only do you have a wonderful browser experience, but also different flavors to choose from. And this can be useful for those sites that don't look good in one or two specific browsers.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Hi augustya
To begin with I must say I really enjoyed the websurfing experience on the N900. The combination of Hard-qwerty, flash and the way Maemo (n900 UI) handles multitasking is super easy to use. When you are surfing a page and say you see something you want to read more about you simply click and hold link and select open in new window. (you can also do that on the SGS I know but not in the same way) When you have several windows open switching between them is a breeze on the N900 simply click hqwerty's ctrl + backspace and you go to the multitasking page where all the open windows (and programs) are open in a very visual way (in fulltime) so videos are playing and flash is running etc. and switching between them is just pressing the one you want.
Image 1 here I have around 10 open pages. (photos does not do the screen justice) Open are the web page with all the bookmarks, gsmarena with all samsung, SGS and pictures of SGS, all Nokia, N900 and pictures of N900, 2 x Youtube vids with a comercial of each device and angry aliens "30 sec. bunnies" flash vid site and no lags or hangs. (With alot of Flash sites open, video playing and playing flash games it can be laggy ofc.)

All that said the experience on the SGS is a bit different. I only seem to be able to open 8 pages (but maybe that is enough (it wasn't for this example ;-P) for normal use) and jumping between them works in quite a different way too see image 2. (and the SGS opens in mobile pages at least for now) I think it will be alot better with android 2.2 and flash 10. Even though the SGS is not as easy to switch between pages as the n900 it is quite easy to use... even more so if you use the Dolphin HD browser available in market... here you get fans like on your desktop and the "gap" between the two is closed even more.
I think the SGS is a really nice phone to surf the web on (will be heaps better when it gets 2.2 and flash!) The pinch to zoom, fast rendering of pages, several pages open at once (upto 8) smooth (if not doing too much other stuff... Will prob change as well in 2.2) I really use my Phones to surf the web ALOT (have a 20GB "limit" on my contract) and I really like the SGS as a web-phone aswell (maybe not quite as much as the n900 but pretty close) The n900 one web problem was the horisontal vs. landscape as it was made for landscape the horisontal doesn't go well with the qwerty (obviously) and best surfing experience on the n900 meant having both hands (thumbs) free to use on qwerty... The SGS does it any which way and does it well. Especially with swype it is really easy to use. my only "problem" is that English is not my primary language, so swype can't always be used fast (for me) as I have to switch language to use it properly... luckily the swype keyboard in itself is very nice to just type on aswell so the "problem" is not that big and they have thought of it already so a long press on q brings up the language list.

Well how-to browse aside... how does it look!? well the n900 screen is actually quite nice on its own and I always enjoyed watching vid.clips and movies on the 3.5 inch screen and web pages looks very good too... here it comes BUT when compared to the SGS 4 inch SuperAmoled it does look a bit small and the colors a little bit faded. The SGS screen is simply stunning and the colors vibrant and watching movies the n900 could sometimes stutter a bit in the beginning (something to do with no buffering I think) something I havn't seen on the SGS. Viewing pages in terms of readability the bigger screen helps out but I think both does a good job and I never had any problems viewing pages in zoomed-far-out mode.

Email is something I don't use that much... well I do get and do send emails "daily" (sometimes every second day). But I think I prefer the SGS as I can have the push on if I want or go check for myself (even see my folders on the mail server) in the app... ofc. on the n900 it was just to go to yahoo mail in the web browser but still.

IM I really very seldom use but in the n900 it was very integrated in the UI but maybe it is in the SGS I just havn't had to look. Tried the Go!chat for facebook on the SGS and that was easy to use and worked quite well.

I know this might not have made your choice easier as I seem and still am very fond of the n90,0 but if I had to make the choice (and I allready did) I would go for the SGS as the n900 no longer is officially supported and you get more choices with apps, flash 10 etc. bigger and better looking screen with the SGS. (or maybe wait for the Meego... the new Nokia/intel UI and "successor" of Maemo) sorry had to mention it but I think it still has a long way to go :p

P.S If I failed to answer some of your questions or have raised new ones etc. just ask and I'll try to answer them.

In the meanwhile I'll send a couple of emails and try to set up some IM-thingy-magics to learn a bit more about that ;)

Hey Friend,

Thanks indeed for a detailed explanation & description that really explained a lot of things…But yes I still need a answer or two more from you :D You know I am still finding it difficult to decide :thinking: The reason being I also look at my phone as a entertainment device so occasionally watching Videos or a DVD Movie should be equally good along with web browsing, so a good display screen does matter. Infact it matters greatly. So I don’t know how is the experience of watching a Video/ DVD movie in the N900. Apart from the stuttering does it feel bright enough ( Of course not as bright and colourful as the SGS is, but maybe 98-99% close to SGS or is the difference like 50%-100%) Frankly speaking I have liked almost everything about the N900 except that I am not able to decide if the screen display will be if not as good as the SGS, will it be atall close to it like 80-90%. So you are saying that the quality of Video in the N900 is not bad right ? (I am only talking about the display quality not its ability to play different formats) Maybe you have said this already but I just wanna be 100% convinced ;) Have you compared playing HD videos on the SGS and N900 ? Please also post your experience if you have had any.

I don’t know why, again this a candid confession I didn’t feel anything special while I held the SGS and was using it :rolleyes: apart from the Amazing screen quality and fantastic movie/video display experience that I had. Movie and Videos looked the best so far from all the phones that I have come across. Having said that I don’t know but my inclination is more towards the N900, Web browsing should be great fun on the N900, yes and even I second that Multi-Tasking in the N900 is definitely way better than the SGS :), Even I felt that. And the point that you made about the official Nokia support on MAEMO, well it is gearing up to receive its third update which should hit anytime in October bringing Flash 10 to it aswell just like FROYO and though the common sentiment is, that it could be its last firmware update, there is no official statement from Nokia that they have Abandoned MAEMO after having got onboard with MEEGO. It is all speculation. And people are already saying that the device even right now is so fully equipped except for the flash 10 what else are you looking out for ? Already everything is there in it.

The entire experience of Holding the N900, using it is royal it is sheer pleasure :eek:. Well so it might be for the SGS but I don’t know had I not been confused about the screen display quality of the N900 I would have definitely gone for the N900 :p. Having said that next on my list is an Android Phone and I am waiting and hoping that I come across one, finally one day and the shortcomings that I felt in the SGS of not having a Physical Qwerty Keypad, Flashlight for an Camera and no stereo Radio are made available in that device.

Thanks Again.

Upvote 0
As to viewing videos on the n900 I have done that alot and really find it has a nice and bright screen... (only time it fades is compared to SGS is when doing exactly that... side by side) On its own I really like the screen (I think I would say it like 80-90%-ish of the SGS just dont put side by side) and it has TV out aswell (AND cables comes included in box) Best results were with converting vids to fit the screen etc. But I have tried vids 700mb to 1GB without any problems.

I havn't tried HD video on either device as I convert almost all my vids so they fit the phone (and takes up less space on SD)
but have a look at this discussion: HD Video Codecs for Nokia N900? - maemo.org - Talk
they talk about codecs and no HD on the n900 because of screen resolution.

"Having said that I don

Reactions: augustya
Upvote 0
Just found this Vid which shows the n900 in its glory playing AVI videos.

One last question, Tell me till the time u used the N900, did you have a Screenguard on it. Does that lessens its brightness or display. Should one have the screenguard put on it or not ? And does it not feel Bulky, while carrying it all the time in the pocket ? Did you feel the extra weight in your pocket ?

Upvote 0
Yeah, the first thing I did was put a screen guard on it and a cheap (hard to the touch) Feels goo but if you tilt it in the sun you can kind of see it... But I think it will pay off to pick a more expencive one. (I just never got around to doing it as the one I have on gets the job done okay) It does lessen the brightness but not by much I think. It feels more bulky than the SGS and it is more weighty but I havn't minded for the past 7-ish months I have worn it in my right jeans-pocket and it hasn't bothered me at all. but it is on the "heavy" side waighing 181g as to the SGS 119g and the iPhone 3gs 135g but it makes it feel sturdy.
After dinner Ill make a video showing you the screen with the screen guard on.

Upvote 0
I too currently have both phones, the N900 I really use as a PDA, I vastly prefer the Galaxy S for it's 'phone' ability and synch with Google. The N900 is good for mobile skype video (from there most recent update). In my opinion I'd stick with the Galaxy S, there is very little support base for Maemo although look out for a great application called Portabase that I can synch with both my PC and N900.

Upvote 0
Just found this Vid which shows the n900 in its glory playing AVI videos.
AVI video on n900

Wow ! This video looks amazingly well, The Clarity,Resolution looks fantastic. is it a HD video what is the video specs ? So from this can we draw a conclusion that if the video is encoded in a HD or High Quality Format the N900 display (though not as good as the Galaxy) is not bad. It does well. I was pretty impressed with the quality of this video and that too generally youtube videos are not all that good in terms of quality. Overall I am impressed. How are you putting all thees videos on this forum ? Do you wanna share it with all of us ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones