• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I "decode" a cheap battery I bought???

4mger

Oct 28, 2012
I needed another battery, and couldn't spend another $43 for one at Metro. I got one from ebay, but when it gets to about 40 percent, it shuts the phone off (like it is completely dead). I contacted the seller and was told the battery needs to be "decoded". What does that mean, and how do I do it? Thanks for any help!

I needed another battery, and couldn't spend another $43 for one at Metro. I got one from ebay, but when it gets to about 40 percent, it shuts the phone off (like it is completely dead). I contacted the seller and was told the battery needs to be "decoded". What does that mean, and how do I do it? Thanks for any help!

Many device batteries now days have included in them a chip which detects and interprets electrical needs from the host device. It began with camera and camcorder devices, now common with smart phones.

I'd purchase the battery made for the device, rather than trying to modify or remove the battery's circuitry. But you can fully discharge it, fully charge, discharge again and after a few repeats of that try to see if you have better luck with it in your device.

Keep in mind that the battery meters in these phones are guessing anyway.. just see the differences in percentages after a shutdown and no charging. ;)

Upvote 0
when I used a blackberry, replacement batteries needed to be decoded to work. The batt I bought appears to be a genuine LG battery, but who knows. For the current price of the Motion, I am better off buying a new phone (just for the battery)!

Yeah, they were doing that at the stores, I remember. They actually changed the parameters in the battery's chip for the new host device. You can still get that done.

Upvote 0
I bought one of those 3600mah batteries that's supposedly for this device from eBay (you'll know them by the distinctive red stripe at the top and orange stripe at the bottom). It took forever for it to be shipped so I asked them to send another after it seemed to be lost in the mail. Lo and behold one arrived december 26 and another arrived december 27 :rolleyes:

The one that says its for the lg optimus l7 p700 works. The one that says its for the sprint lg viper 4g lte is rejected by the phone after the os boots up. I see a little difference in battery life but not that much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones