• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I Delete App Updates in Android 7

Miss_Roo

Mar 30, 2018
Deleting App Updates in Android 7
Hello, in previous versions of Android, there was an option to delete app updates, however, Android 7 does not seem to have this function. My question is this: Is there some way that I can still do this, or do I now have to delete the entire app or nothing at all?

You've never been able to delete app updates for stuff you've installed yourself, only preinstalled system apps. Is that what you mean?

You can still disable system apps which deletes the updates, is that what you're after?

What phone do you have?
Hi!
I have a Blu R2 LTE, running Android 7. I used to have a LG Optimus L90 running Android 5.0.1.

Upvote 0
This was the same in Android 5 as in Android 8 (and hence, I assume, Android 7): as said above, you can only uninstall updates to pre-installed system apps.

The reason is that for a system app there is a copy which is part of the ROM. Updates are however installed to the same space as user apps. So if you remove the update, the original copy (in the ROM) is still present. But if you get a second update to it that replaces the first update, so uninstalling updates always takes you back to the original version rather than the previous update.

For a user-installed app there is no other copy in the ROM. When you update one of these apps the update replaces the previous version, so removing the update would remove your only copy of the app. That's why for user-installed apps there is no "uninstall updates" option, because uninstalling the update uninstalls the only copy of the app you have.

If you want to roll a user-installed app back to a previous version you need to install a copy of the older version of the app. Be careful where you get it from - you don't want to install a copy from some random site and find out that someone added malware to it! apkmirror.com is a safe site, and older versions of many apps can be found there (not all: not all developers want their apps to be archived this way, and obviously you won't find paid apps there). Or if you have a problem with an update you could contact the developer: some will send you an older version if the current one doesn't work for you.

Upvote 0
There should be a way. If you have a tablet near the end of OS life and aren't ready to buy new, an update can mess up the original app. I use At Bat and I don't care if it's in HD or even black and white as long as I can SEE it.

The star charts I use haven't really changed all that much, most of the apps have added satellite, comet, and asteroid type tracking which my scope is really not set up for. I don't need anything beyond the first couple of downloads. Yes, it's a pay for and it was 14.99 when I bought it. Good program and worth it.

Audubon birds went from 9.99 to free if you signed up with an email address so they could spam you. That one I bought, Play store said I didn't, so I repurchased from Amazon for .99. That really annoyed me.

Getting back to the tablet, that's all I have on the tablet besides one good purchased solitare game.
It still turns on and runs the apps well, so I can't see buying another just for updates I can't/won't use and don't care about like YouTube.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones