1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

how do i download apps on the HTC Desire when it says insufficient storage available?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by bieber7861, Dec 28, 2013.

1. bieber7861

bieber7861 Guest
    None
    How do i download apps on my android phone which is an HTC Desire when i try to download the apps it says insufficient storage available and it wont let me download anything now how can i fix it? The app i am trying to download at this moment is: Whatsapp Messager)

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Apps will by default install to the internal storage. The phone will try to keep 10% of this free as working space, so if you have less than 15MB free (as the Desire has 147 MB internal storage), or if installing the app will leave you less than 15MB free, the phone will not install the app.

The solution is to clear some space. There are a few things you can do:

* clear app caches. There are many "cache cleaner" apps which will let you clear all caches at once. Some of these are very small, so you may be able to install one of these even if you can't install Whatsapp Messenger. Otherwise, use settings > apps, select app, select "clear cache". Browsers, email apps and social networking apps are things which might have large caches. These are just temporary files, so there's no harm in clearing them.

* move apps to SD: you can't do this with all apps, and you shouldn't do it with apps whose widgets you use (widgets won't work when the app is moved to SD). But for the apps you can, moving them (settings > apps, select app, select "move to sd") will create some space for you.

* Check whether any apps are using excessive amounts of data. App data also lives in internal storage, so if there are any you can clean up that will free space. Again, social networking apps can be big data users. Sometimes contacts get duplicated, with the result that "Contact Storage" (system app) can use a lot of data. If that app is using 1-2 MB of data you are fine, but if it's using 30 MB or more then I suggest editing your contacts, as you may find that some of them contain the same information many times (something that's not visible unless you edit them).

Hopefully between these you can clear enough space to install the app.

If you are running short of space though, and the above measures aren't enough, the only ways to significantly improve the storage require "rooting" the phone, modifying the software to give yourself administrator access. If you do this there are then a couple of tricks you can do to give yourself more space for apps. You can learn more about some of these things from the threads linked here: http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/503471-desire-all-things-root-guide.html

(Note: in the above I've assumed that your phone is a HTC Desire, rather than a Desire HD, Desire S, Desire C, Desire 600, or any of the other "Desire" models HTC have released! If you have one of those, the advice on cache clearing/reducing data stays the same, but details of internal storage are different, rooting methods are definitely different, and you may not be able to move apps to SD on some of those).

3. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Jul 4, 2012
    Semi-retired developer
    The Shire
    I fyou do decide to root your phone, use an SD card of at least 16GB, and format it with three partitions as follows - Partition 1 - EXT4 format - 2GB, partition 2 - Linux Swap 1GB, partition 3 - FAT32 for the remaining 13GB. If,you then install int2ext4+, the 2GB EXT4 formatted partition will appear as internal memory. -- neat.

You'll need some disk partitioning software like GParted in Linux, or Parted Magic Which runs from a CD/DVD. there are probably windows alternatives which will do the same thing, but as I mainly use Linux, I'm not all that familiar with Windows software.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    If you root a Desire and use 4Ext recovery you can use that for partitioning the card - it does a decent job, unlike other custom recoveries for that phone.