• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how do i download froyo vodafone through kies??

loadsaaaTOP

Jun 24, 2010
hi,
can someone tell me exactly whati do to get froyo onto my phone.

ive done the lag fix. does that change anything?

got froyo up and running. do i simply click on firmware update on kies and it does it. or do i need to download from vodafone website??

i just dont fully understand.

thanks

it was oclf from android market.

does this not work with froyo then. without it will the phone not lag like it used to?
or can i reinstall the lagfix once froyo is installed.

aslo, what abpout the rooting i did before lag fix. will this affect froyo?? sorry for the questions just thati dont really know what it all means that ive done,ive just followed guides

Upvote 0
If you used RyanZA's OCLF then just open up the app and in green there will be an undo lag fix option. Run that to take the lag fix off and then also do the same for the EXT tools.

You can also unroot your phone the exact same way you rooted it through that app but its not essential as the firnware upgrade will unroot your phone for you.

You MUST remove the lag fix and EXT from your phone though or you will run into some serious issues.

Once you have undone everything just plug your phone into the computer and fire up kies and click on the upgrade firmware icon and let it do its thing.

Make sure you have a full charge of battery before trying to upgrade or kies wont let you do it. I think its like below 75% battery life.

Also check your usb is set to samsung kies in your phone settings.

You can use RyanZA lag fix to put the lagfix back onto your phone once you have upgraded but you will need to use another method to root your phone before hand through your computer.

XDA devolpers forum has plenty of clearly instructed guides on how to do it.

Hope that clears everything up for you mate.

Enjoy

Upvote 0
Hi, we just got back from holiday this afternoon and when my wife turned her sgs on, she got a message from vodafone saying that froyo is available via a link they sent.

My question is, is it worth doing? Her gps has been fine and she says it is quick enough for her (so she has never put the lag fix on), so should she upgrade and risk getting issues on gps, swype, slower performance etc that I have seen in other posts, or is she better to stay on 2.1?

Any advice / comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0
If you're frustrated trying to get Froyo via KIES, take heart: you're not alone, and it's not your fault. KIES is an incredibly buggy piece of software that really shames SAMSUNG. Furthermore, it does not even support the latest version of Windows (7 has been out for a year, even in Korea) let alone other operating systems.

I gave up and resorted to hackery after days of messing around trying to persuade KIES to either:
* Properly install on a Windows PC
* Launch after installation
* Connect my SGS
* Let me install FROYO

This is after testing KIES on the following:
* A Windows 7 VM in OSX under Parallels - 32-bit Ultimate EN (partially successful)
* A native Windows XP machine, DE (failed)
* A second native Windows XP machine, DE
* A Windows 7 32-bit notebook, EN (failed)

So quit wasting your time with this piece of junk software - and go down the alternative route. As a bonus, you'll get rid of the clunky, slugging Vodafone logo screens when your SGS boots - the native graphics are way cooler.

And funniest of all, I saw some new native wallpapers - somehow Vodafone Germany saw fit to delete some of those lovely panoramic images ... maybe there was a T-Mo shop showing up in the corner of one of them?

The one thing you will need to do before trying to install FROYO is to make sure your battery is fully charged.

I bookmarked the key sites in my hacking trip - which was successful, by the way. I now have a lovely SGS running FROYO, aka firmware version 2.2. And, by the way, I also managed to lose all those bloat applications that Vodafone inexplicably adds - for example, WTF would want to play just 14 pieces of Tetris, or one round on a Monopoly board? I ain't reaching for my wallet on the strength of a compelling and exciting game where - gasp - I just got to play 14 pieces. Vodafone - you are just a dumb pipe sometimes.

The bookmarks:
nesjo's samsung Bookmarks on Delicious

My favorite, and the one that worked for me, http://www.pathikshah.com/, seems to be offline. I'm suspicious. Good thing that Google has cached the page ... Install Android 2.2 Froyo on Samsung Galaxy S | Pathik Shah

Closing comments: Yeah, I now have the Asian software build. But everything works, and if you think I'm bothered by not having the German or English build, you're confusing me with someone who gives a crud.

Upvote 0
If you're frustrated trying to get Froyo via KIES, take heart: you're not alone, and it's not your fault. KIES is an incredibly buggy piece of software that really shames SAMSUNG. Furthermore, it does not even support the latest version of Windows (7 has been out for a year, .

What a load of crap, works fine in Windows 7, I've successfully flashed two phone using kies with Windows 7, no problems at all. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
If you're frustrated trying to get Froyo via KIES, take heart: you're not alone, and it's not your fault. KIES is an incredibly buggy piece of software that really shames SAMSUNG. Furthermore, it does not even support the latest version of Windows (7 has been out for a year, even in Korea) let alone other operating systems.

I gave up and resorted to hackery after days of messing around trying to persuade KIES to either:
* Properly install on a Windows PC
* Launch after installation
* Connect my SGS
* Let me install FROYO

This is after testing KIES on the following:
* A Windows 7 VM in OSX under Parallels - 32-bit Ultimate EN (partially successful)
* A native Windows XP machine, DE (failed)
* A second native Windows XP machine, DE
* A Windows 7 32-bit notebook, EN (failed)

So quit wasting your time with this piece of junk software - and go down the alternative route. As a bonus, you'll get rid of the clunky, slugging Vodafone logo screens when your SGS boots - the native graphics are way cooler.

And funniest of all, I saw some new native wallpapers - somehow Vodafone Germany saw fit to delete some of those lovely panoramic images ... maybe there was a T-Mo shop showing up in the corner of one of them?

The one thing you will need to do before trying to install FROYO is to make sure your battery is fully charged.

I bookmarked the key sites in my hacking trip - which was successful, by the way. I now have a lovely SGS running FROYO, aka firmware version 2.2. And, by the way, I also managed to lose all those bloat applications that Vodafone inexplicably adds - for example, WTF would want to play just 14 pieces of Tetris, or one round on a Monopoly board? I ain't reaching for my wallet on the strength of a compelling and exciting game where - gasp - I just got to play 14 pieces. Vodafone - you are just a dumb pipe sometimes.

The bookmarks:
nesjo's samsung Bookmarks on Delicious

My favorite, and the one that worked for me, Pathik Shah Live, seems to be offline. I'm suspicious. Good thing that Google has cached the page ... Install Android 2.2 Froyo on Samsung Galaxy S | Pathik Shah

Closing comments: Yeah, I now have the Asian software build. But everything works, and if you think I'm bothered by not having the German or English build, you're confusing me with someone who gives a crud.

Why Asian build? The Europe build of Froyo has been out for more than a month already. Btw, that guide uses JP2, which is an outdated Froyo build.

What a load of crap, works fine in Windows 7, I've successfully flashed two phone using kies with Windows 7, no problems at all. :rolleyes:

I agree. Windows 7 64-bit. Works like a charm~

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones