• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I find out which EVO version I have?

I read on the Sprint forums (posted by some guy) that since the launch of the EVO, Sprint has been selling downgraded versions (?!). I replied to this guy's post asking him how he knew and how could I find out what version I had and if it was gimped in any way but no replies.

I just got my EVO the beginning of this month. So, is what this guy posted true? If so how can I find my EVO's version, etc.?

Thanks!
Jerry:eek:

I read on the Sprint forums (posted by some guy) that since the launch of the EVO, Sprint has been selling downgraded versions (?!). I replied to this guy's post asking him how he knew and how could I find out what version I had and if it was gimped in any way but no replies.

I just got my EVO the beginning of this month. So, is what this guy posted true? If so how can I find my EVO's version, etc.?

Thanks!

Settings > About Phone

Not sure what you mean when you say the EVO's version. Are you referring to the operating system version? If so, you'll find that under the above location and then > Software information.

Your evo should be running Android version 2.2 (aka Froyo). The Software number should be 3.70.651.1. If it's not, you should be getting a popup at some point asking you if you want to install an over-the-air (OTA) update. That should bring you to 3.70.651.1.

Reactions: justjerry
Upvote 0
That just means that you have the latest OTA. You could have the oldest possible Evo, and still have that information under Software Information if you kept the phone up to date. The version they are likely talking about is the hardware version. The Evo is now up to 0004. From settings->about, select hardware information. You will see your build in there. It will likely be somewhere between 0002 and 0004. If the phone is new, it should be 0004. That being said, it's hard to say what's considered new or not. If you have a hw version 0003, it doesn't mean the phone isn't new. It just means from an older batch. That doesn't make it a used phone. I'm only guess that's what they were talking about. Sprint selling phones that are on the previous OTA isn't a big deal. Just accept the OTA if it doesn't have the latest.

Reactions: justjerry
Upvote 0
That just means that you have the latest OTA. You could have the oldest possible Evo, and still have that information under Software Information if you kept the phone up to date. The version they are likely talking about is the hardware version. The Evo is now up to 0004. From settings->about, select hardware information. You will see your build in there. It will likely be somewhere between 0002 and 0004. If the phone is new, it should be 0004. That being said, it's hard to say what's considered new or not. If you have a hw version 0003, it doesn't mean the phone isn't new. It just means from an older batch. That doesn't make it a used phone. I'm only guess that's what they were talking about. Sprint selling phones that are on the previous OTA isn't a big deal. Just accept the OTA if it doesn't have the latest.

I understand now. I've got a 0003 and it's brand new. Meh.:cool: Oh well. I still love it.:D

Thanks!

Jerry

Upvote 0

Thanks!

The 0003-0004 has new hardware. They have an upgraded camera chip. Made and manufactured by completely different companies. Same with the screen. Older versions have a 3 point touch screen and newer ones have a 5 point touch.

I found this out on XDA because some roms were not compatable before the source code was released.

WHICH IS BETTER? No clue. i hear a lot of undereducated accusations that both defend older models and knock the performance of the camera.

That leads me to believe that you were smart enough to not make the same mistake i did. I traded my EPIC for an evo last second. Worst mistake ever. I have been developing on my samsung vibrant since release. Same with the epic. Switched and realized that the quality of the cam and video on the evo are garbage compared to the samsung. Again, some people dont ever use the cam or camcorder and it is not an issue. ITS ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT IN A PHONE. Ask your self. Are you satisfied with the performance.

Ohh. I also manage a T-Mobile store. Corporate that is. Being said. They classify all phones in 3 letters. A class B class and C class.
As long as a phone has a new shell(Body) They consider the phone and software to be restorable to "LIKE NEW" All phones are made with recycled parts. I believe the reason is due to some goverment law that requires companies to re use parts(Something about saving money and the Earth.)
We do warranty claims on return and defective phones at t mobile- ship the phone back, document serial numbers, and watch the same phones return like new with the same serial numbers in a new box. AND I SELL EM TO THE PUBLIC AS A NEW PHONE. Gotta feed the kids man.

Corporate america and the growing desire to be capitolist has prevented any company manufacturing anything on the level sprint does from just making new phones from scratch. Blame it on the Masonic community and their influence on free media(JOKING) But it would be impossible to make all new phones with freshly created hardware. EVO sales are in the millions. That would cost the company more than it made. OF COURSE YOUR PHONE IS NOT NEW........BUT HOW CAN YOU PROVE IT IN COURT. read the fine print in your service agreement and google the terms and conditions you signed for. You told em it was ok by signing the contract and you did not have to sign....

All being said. It sucks. I agree with you but am just as helpless as you are.
Its just the way the world turns...... We should move to KOREA and have the best electronics known to man. ANY BODY UP FOR SOME COMMUNISM?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones