1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root How do I flash ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lions, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Lions

Lions Lurker
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    I don't even know if I'm using the right term (flash? install?). I have an HTC One S that's already rooted and is running version 4.0 and sense 4.0, but I want to upgrade to Jellybean (4.1 to 4.4, whatever is most stable). Is there like a step by step guide to how to do this that I can follow?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Easiest way is usually to install TWRP or CWM recovery. Then you put the ROM file on the SD card, boot into the recovery and install the file.

If you don't yet know which ROM you want, though, I think you should do more investigation before doing anything. (IOW, read a lot.)

3. Lions

Lions Lurker
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Someone rooted my One S and installed the rom manager but then couldn't complete the rom install. In rom manager, there's a 'download rom' option. There are several options under that, and the guy who worked on my phone (and erased all my music) told me to click on CyanogenMod. I get some options under that and choose 'CyanogenMod 10.2.0'. That's where I get stuck (and the guy who worked on this phone didn't know what he was doing, so he can't help). The option is to download, and when I click that, it tells me to reboot and install. When I choose that option, I don't know what else to do on the reboot and install screen. I'm in Oklahoma City and really would like to find someone else besides that quack to help me with this.

4. 808phone

808phone Member
    None

Feb 10, 2014
    Let me tell you something that happened to me.
    First, it's pretty darn easy to do the following:
    1: Unlock boot loader.
    2: Install TWRP
    3: Get SuperSU running.

NO PROBLEMS!!!!!

OK, now I wanted to flash a ROM just like you. So I follow every instruction exactly and the final thing that you have to if NOT s-off is to flash the boot.img.

THAT'S WHERE THE PROBLEM IS! It corrupted my boot and then I am stuck on the HTC logo with red text.
    Let me tell you this is the worst feeling - seeing that boot loop. All it does is go there and the phone is soft bricked. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

So, before you do anything:

1: Find the RUU for your phone so if worst comes to worse, you can always go back stock.

2: Maybe (haven't done this yet), extract the boot.img from the stock ROM so you don't get stuck like I did and have to pay $$ to get the phone back.

[HOW TO] Extract Rom.zip From RUU - xda-developers

GOOD LUCK!

5. 808phone

808phone Member
    None

Feb 10, 2014
    This installer seems to promise an easy install. Would have tried it if I had known. I really like cm11 (kitkat 4.4)

http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

Tags: